Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Help requesting identifying Smith & Wesson 32 Long Revolver

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Help requesting identifying Smith & Wesson 32 Long Revolver

My father and I recently located one of my grandfather's guns and we have been trying to find approximate date of manufacture and value.

I would have to assume that the 485419 (marked on the frame and on the grip frame is the SN). Barrel is marked 'S&W 32 Long'. It holds 6 shots. Wood grip itself has markings 'Pat June 5, 1917'. Fixed sights. The number 13754 is also on the gun.

Photos follow -

Any information would be appreciated ! Thanks !

Posts liked by others
    That looks like a .32 Regulation Police, mfg. in the late thirties. Hard to tell with the flash photos, but it looks like a nice piece. These are typically valued at around $300-$400, more or less (and that advice is free, and worth it).

Exactly where is the 13754 located? And what number is on the flat of the barrel, cylinder face, yoke and tang? (open it for loading for these)

Any markings on the holster?

Best regards,
    ab
    Have a pet? Join us at pets-r-great

Posts liked by others
    Thanks ! I will need to look at the gun and holster again to see where the marking '13754' is located and for the other markings. My father has the gun, and I will look at it again later this week, or next weekend. I will post the information with additional photos once I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by A.B.
    That looks like a .32 Regulation Police, mfg. in the late thirties. Hard to tell with the flash photos, but it looks like a nice piece. These are typically valued at around $300-$400, more or less (and that advice is free, and worth it).

Exactly where is the 13754 located? And what number is on the flat of the barrel, cylinder face, yoke and tang? (open it for loading for these)

Any markings on the holster?

Best regards,
    ab

Posts liked by others
    You're welcome, den. Thanks for sharing. Those are nice, accurate revolvers, and you don't often see folks save the holsters that people used with them.

PS: I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but store the gun outside of the holster, the leather will damage the finish over time.
    Last edited by A.B.; 24th August 2009 at 16:52.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks again, AB.

Yes, thankfully, my late grandfather stored it in a pistol rug and not the holster. I hope to have some more information about this gun in a few days (hopefully, by the weekend).

Quote Originally Posted by A.B.
    You're welcome, den. Thanks for sharing. Those are nice, accurate revolvers, and you don't often see folks save the holsters that people used with them.

PS: I'm sure I don't need to tell you this, but store the gun outside of the holster, the leather will damage the finish over time.

Posts liked by others
    AB, I had another opportunity to look at this revolver today. The 13754 mark is observed once you swing out the cylinder. No markings on the holster. I stand corrected, barrel is marked "32 Long Ctg".

Top of the barrel is marked - "Smith and Wesson, Springfield Mass USA Patented Feb 6 06 Sept 14 09 Dec 29 14".

The hammer is marked "Reg US Pat Off".

From what I can tell from additional research, I can almost confirm that this is definitely a 32 Regulation Police.
    Last edited by den888; 29th August 2009 at 20:51.

Posts liked by others
    Hey, Den,

Yes, .32 Regulation Police, the Supica book sez those stocks won't fit on the other models. 1917-1942, ending at 536,000, so late Depression-era.

They made them good in that era, that is a fine revolver.

best regards,
    ab

Posts liked by others
    Thanks again, AB.