Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, Blue Ridge Firerarms or Field Supply, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Ballester Molina Argentine 1911

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

Ballester Molina Argentine 1911

I bought a Ballester Molina Argentine 1911 .45 yesterday at a gun show. It does not have a back grip safety like my Colt 1911. Also the trigger pivots instead of moving straight back like my Colt. The previous owner said it was a Colt that was sent to Argentina, but a 1911 gunsmith at the show said it was only made under an ageement between Colt and Argentina in Argentina. I found "Ballester Molina" on the slide as the manufacturer and nothing about Colt. It is lighter than my Colt. The blue is probably 90%. I know Argentina made an agreement with Colt in 1927 to be able to produce 1911 clones. Can anyone tell me about my new purchase? What price range do these run in? Are they generally accurate? Are they considered good quality? Are these keepers or should I try to re-sell it? I paid at least $200 less than I would for a Colt 1911 in my area in similar condition.

Your pistol was produced in Argentina by HAFDASA and by design used 1911 type barrel assys and magazines to reduce tooling expense and utilize existing spare parts. A few other parts interchange but the pistol was not intended to be a true clone. Most have nomenclature on the slide indicating issue to a military service or govt agency. Does your pistol have a roll mark on the RHS of the slide?

Generally a quality, accurate shooter pistol and inexpensive a few yrs ago. Now I see asking prices $600 and up on the auction sites but don't know if they sell.

Without digging out my books, the Ballester-Molina (at first called the "Ballester-Rigaud," Rigaud & Molina being individuals associated with its design and manufacture) was introduced in 1938 to supplement the existing supplies of Colt-produced Modelo1927s. With WWII, supplies of further Colt pistols would not be forthcoming, due both to US needs and to Argentina's neutrality.

After WWII the Argentine military obtained a license and equipment to manufacture M1911A1 pistols indigenously as the "Sistema Colt." The Ballester continued to be manufactured in parallel.

There's no relation between the Ballester and the Colts beyond a superficial resemblance. The Ballester uses the Star-type lockwork. While the barrel and magazine are generally interchangable, as stated earlier that was likely a matter of convenience for the former and a necessity for the latter, if the pistol were to serve in the Argentine police and military alongside the Colt. You couldn't have two .45 pistols with different magazines; imagine the confusion.

The Ballester is a good pistol in its own right, but should never be represented as anything like a Colt. I have a first-year Ballester (-Rigaud) and several others, including an Air-Force marked -Molina and a .22LR "Colt-Ace-type" variation.

Regards,

Walt
    Author, The M1911 Complete Assembly Guide,
    The M1911 Complete Owner's Guide,
    The M14
    and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
    and The AR-15 Complete Assembly and Owner's Guides
    Last edited by wjkuleck; 30th August 2009 at 11:31.

While they generally seem to work fine and be good shooters, Ballaster Molinas are not 1911s - they just ve too many design alterations to be called as such. Parts for them are not very easy to find either. 1911 mags should work.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter