Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells or Cabela's, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Citadel cit45fsp... Good choice for a first time gun buyer?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

Smile Citadel cit45fsp... Good choice for a first time gun buyer?

The title pretty much says it all. I've been shopping around for my first handgun purchase, and I've taken a liking to the 1911 frame. I can't seem to find much on the internet about Citadel, other than that they are basically a "re-branding" of Rock Island Armory. I know the RIA 1911 seems to be reviewed rather favorably, but it seems the local gun stores only have the Citadel in stock.

Keep in mind that I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out.

I highly recommend it. It is made by Armscor & warranty service is thru them. Over the years I have owned Colt, Springfield Armory, Thompson Auto-Ordnance, Randall, Vega, AMT, Detonics, Norinco, Brolin, Armscor, Armscor-made Rock Island Armory, High Standard, Charles Daly, Metro Arms American Classic II & Firestorm, etc. The one I now carry and shoot most is the Citadel.

i have the citidal compact love it its my fulltime carry pistol!

Well I made a trip to a local gun store today, and fortunately they had a huge selection of 1911's in stock. Among them were the Springfield Armory GI for $550, the RIA 1911 for $475, and the Citadel 1911 for $575. The amount of options are making me indecisive, haha. I'd like to spend roughly $600 or less. The employee I spoke with told me the Springfield would be the best bet, but that the other two were both reliable guns. Decisions, decisions!

Eeny, meeny, miney, mo! They are all good 1911s. Go with the one you like. I would go for the RIA for $475 if it is a Tactical. I paid $479 shipped for my Citadel & that's about the going price for a RIA Tactical.

Thanks for the responses. Any quick/easy way to identify the tactical model RIA as opposed to the standard one? What's the difference?

Looks like their price on the Citadel is a little high, considering what you paid for yours.

Standard RIA is plain GI configuration, RIA Tactical has some bells & whistles like the Citadel, Novak type sights, beavertail, ambidextrous safety, etc. Your dealer's prices are ok but if you check the auction sites & gun dealers on the web you can usually get a better deal, you still have a transfer fee to pay your receiving FFL holder, though.

Alright, thanks. You've been very helpful beasley, thanks for the quick replies. It will be about one month from now until I make my purchase, so I have some time to mull it over. I'm really excited about it. I guess now's the time to start looking for good deals on ammunition, haha.

Don't know where you are, but those are high prices on the RIAs. Look around and find a FFL holder who will charge you about $20 to do the transfer and then order a RIA online.

The one I found is a pawn shop owner, who's a little quirky but otherwise honest, and I pay him $20 when I find something I want that no one local can match. Takes about a week to get your order back.

SARCO had very good pricing on RIA's last time I looked and there are probably many others online with as good or better, if you look around.

I live in central North Carolina, and these are the best prices I've seen in stores. Another local shop had only the Springfield GI for $750, and Gander Mountain didn't have any of these, just Colts and Kimbers (which are out of my budget unfortunately). I'll see if there are any reliable FFL holders around here, just not sure if it's worth the extra hassle. How much do you think I'd save?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast