Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, Blue Ridge Firerarms or Field Supply, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: titanium firing pin?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

titanium firing pin?

Why a titanium firing pin? A friend wanting to carry a 1911 on duty stated one of the requirements is the 1911 had to have a titanium firing pin? Why ?
    "when no one else can or will, U.S. Army MPs always answer the call"

A few companies who don't use a mechanical firing pin safety (such as Colt's Series 80 ... also used by ParaUSA, Auto-Ordnance, Kahr and some others ... or the S&W or Kimber versions of the Swartz safety) use a titanium firing pin because it is lighter weight, which means less mass, which makes it slightly less possible to have the firing pin accidently ignite a round in the chamber if the pistol is dropped on the muzzle.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

And all this time I thought it was about faster ignition.

It could, in theory, make ignition faster - although I would really like to see some quantifiable data on what kind of change in lock-time we're talking...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Quote Originally Posted by rekladan
    It could, in theory, make ignition faster - although I would really like to see some quantifiable data on what kind of change in lock-time we're talking...
    In a custom, competition gun it might be. Springfield Armory, for example, uses a titanium firing pin with an extra heavy firing pin spring. The heavier spring offsets the theoretical speed increase of the lighter pin (whether or not completely I can't say). Their purpose is to ensure passing the California drop test, not to obtain an unmeasurable decrease in lock time.
    Hawkmoon
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 2nd August 2009 at 10:34.

I know that that's their purpose, hence their use by SA (and why S&W came up with a 'titanium FP' model without the FP safety that the rest of their models have), but there are some extraordinary claims being made about titanium parts in various websites (as well as other things, like lightweight hammers), some of which are verging on the ridiculous.

One vendor claims weight reduction (not locktime reduction) as an argument in favor of a titanium hammer strut... I'd like to meet someone claiming to be able to tell the weight difference of a 1911 pistol with a Ti strut, Vs one with a steel one...
    M. Setter
    Last edited by by a moderator; 2nd August 2009 at 11:22.

Are you folks in Greece familiar with an historical American character (and I use the term advisedly) by the name of P. T. Barnum? He's the gentleman who coined the phrase "There's a sucker born every minute."
    Hawkmoon

We have a proverb about that Hawk, but it would probably violate the forum's language rules...
    M. Setter