Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Durability of ivory or mother of pearl grips

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I have used stag from the Sambar deer on revolvers and auto's, very tough, very dense. I have a set of stag grips that are near 20 years old on my most used 1911 and they have been dropped, bumped, you name it, not even a trace of a crack anywhere. IMO dense stag or bone are very tough. The stag from Americn Elk are pretty tough too, but don't look to be quite as dense, but never had a problem with those either. I would agree with some of the post above, that ivory is too expensive and not as tough as bone/stag.

Posts liked by others
    I have many sets of camel bone grips out there, and I have yet to have anyone tell me of any problems with them.
    Sarge, do you make camel bone grips? You wouldn't happen to be Tommy 2 Feathers, would you? I recently bought a set of "Ghost Skull" camel bone grips from him, and they're awesome. You guys should check out his website. Real nice guy, too. I wanted stainless hex screws with them, but he was out, so he took them off his own gun and mailed them with the grips.

Posts liked by others
    Nope, sorry. I'm not Tommy 2 Feathers, but he sounds like a stand up guy! Always good to hear of the good guys out there.
    Sarge
    Exotic wood addict
    COTEP Apostle and Missionary

Posts liked by others
    I have had a set of genuine African elephant ivory grip panels on my Colt Commander for almost a year. I carry it every day and shoot it as often as I can get ammo. Have never had a problem. Follow the supplier's instructions on regularly oiling the grip panels and not over-tightening the grip screws and you're good to go for the duration. I don't know a thing about MOP or bone. Also, if you.re clumsy enought to drop the gun, maybe you get the consequences you deserve.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS
    Also, if you.re clumsy enought to drop the gun, maybe you get the consequences you deserve.
    Why should anyone deserve to have anything broken?

Posts liked by others
    I'm not sure deserve has anything to with it...although the statement was true, I can tell you for a fact if you handle guns everyday, carry, grab and go, bounce around the pick-up truck, whatever...30 years of dragging them wherever you go you will probably drop it at some point doing something. About a year ago I was getting out of my car and going into the garage, grabbed my pistol out of the car...people were standing around outside I decided to cover up the pistol with an old sweatshirt so as to not attract attention to it. When I got into the garage I reached up to grab something and it slipped out of the sweatshirt which was under my armpit, and on to the cement floor...things happen. No damage, lucky I guess. It ind of hit my foot first and that slowed it down some.

Although I deserved another big gouge....got lucky that time.
    If you can carry a gun with you constantly for 30 years and get no dings in it, your better than me. I'm not feeling bad about it either. A few dings don't hurt much, especially if most the finish is wore off anyways from use.

Posts liked by others
    If ivory survives better when not "overtightened", the use of rubber o rings around the grip screws would allow you to leave them slightly looser without risking the screws vibating loose. I've done this with a lot of gear I have to transport in my vehicle.

Just a thought.

Posts liked by others
    For those who are curious, the proper size O-ring is Danco #60 available from Ace hardware for about a half buck each. :-)
    Go ahead and retire: now who's watching your back?

Posts liked by others
    For those who are curious, the proper size O-ring is Danco #60 available from Ace hardware for about a half buck each. :-)
    Thanks, man! Now that is some really helpful info! I assume that you use these and recommend this practice? Just a thought I had today, but do you guys think that vintage ivory grips might be better than newly fashioned ones? My thinking is like this: back then, they could choose the choicest cuts of ivory (with regard to the grain or imperfections or what have you), while today grip makers must have to make do with what's left. How much ivory do you think is left in this country? Good thread!

Posts liked by others
    "Son, only a pimp in a Louisiana wwhore(sp) house carries pearl handled revolvers..."
    Gen. George S. Patton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast