Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Durability of ivory or mother of pearl grips

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Durability of ivory or mother of pearl grips

Hi. These questions apply to both ivory and mother of pearl. I've heard they're fragile and you shouldn't shoot your gun with them on. Is this for fear of dropping the gun and therefore cracking the grip, or am I to understand that just the vibration from the gunshot itself will break them? Are they that brittle? Are there any precautions I can take (spacers, washers, pads...) to decrease the risk of breakage? Do carvings make them more fragile? Any info will help and if there's anyone out there who regularly shoots with ivory or MOP, I'd especially like to hear your opinion. Thanks, fellas.

Posts liked by others
    Mother of Pearl (or nacre) is pretty tough and neither rare nor all that expensive. I would say it is suitable for daily carry or heavy range use. Ivory on the other hand is both rare, expensive and subject to shrink cracking. Probably best saved for special occasions.
    Go ahead and retire: now who's watching your back?

Posts liked by others
    Mother of pearl is very brittle. I recently looked at a Colt New Service in original nickel with a set of Colt medallion MOP grips with the bullhead carved on the right grip panel. Even though the pistol was still nice, the grips were missing a 1/2" piece off the corner of one grip. Probably dropped at some time in the past. The grips on 1911 style pistols have to be fairly thin, which doesn't help on MOP grips.
    Ivory has a natural tendency to split, and this is especially so in large temperature changes.

Posts liked by others
    Mother of pearl is very brittle. I recently looked at a Colt New Service in original nickel with a set of Colt medallion MOP grips with the bullhead carved on the right grip panel. Even though the pistol was still nice, the grips were missing a 1/2" piece off the corner of one grip. Probably dropped at some time in the past. The grips on 1911 style pistols have to be fairly thin, which doesn't help on MOP grips.
    Ivory has a natural tendency to split, and this is especially so in large temperature changes
    So...You think that the gun has to be dropped in order to cause breakage? Because I've read things that seem to indicate that these types of grips (specifically ivory, MOP, and bone) are prone to breakage from just shooting the gun with them on.
    Last edited by rlee5349; 13th July 2009 at 16:18.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee5349
    So...You think that the gun has to be dropped in order to cause breakage? Because I've read things that seem to indicate that these types of grips (specifically ivory, MOP, and bone) are prone to breakage from just shooting the gun with them on.
    First, pick out a different color for quote. The light green is hard to read for old eyes.
    Not in any gun, but the one I looked at. If the MOP broke from firing I would expect to see it break around the grip screw, as this is the weakest part of the grip. The corner that was broken off was in the thickest part of the grip, and would not be in an area of strain while firing.

Posts liked by others
    One thing I have found with MOP on the couple of istols I've tried that had it for grips that would stop me from using them on a carry pistol is that MOP gets slippery when wet (rain, sweat). So does ivory but not as bad. Bone is a much better grip, though it can be fragile. Bone can be fire hardened if done carefully.
    Obsolescence is just a lack of imagination.

Member: CSSA, NFA, CASD, CBSC

Posts liked by others
    Sorry, JP, I tried to edit it to a different color, but it didn't work out. How about putting some kind of rubber washers under the screw heads when tightening down the grips? You think this would make them less likely to crack when shooting? What is it that causes them to crack when shooting; is it simply the squeezing from your hand, or is it the explosion and subsequent vibration from the bullet firing?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peppers
    If the MOP broke from firing I would expect to see it break around the grip screw, as this is the weakest part of the grip.
    That was with an if.
    I have never heard of a set of MOP grips breaking from firing, but I have seen a lot badly chipped or broken from being dropped, or broken in half from being tightened too much. Even inexpensive revolvers used MOP 100 years ago, and these pistols are common with grips broken through the grip screw area.

Posts liked by others
    Does anyone out there regularly fire their gun with either ivory, MOP, or bone grips?

Posts liked by others
    I have many sets of camel bone grips out there, and I have yet to have anyone tell me of any problems with them. Yes, many are on daily carry, regularly shot weapons. I don't know much about MOP, so can't say anything there, but bone is tougher and harder than natural ivory. I have both and you can definitely tell a difference in the hardness.
    Good luck in your quest!
    Sarge
    Exotic wood addict
    COTEP Apostle and Missionary

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast