Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Hammer follow

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Hammer follow

I have a CD BUL. When releasing the slide with the slide lock the hammer follows the slide to the hammer half lock position. Anyone know what the problem is or how to correct this problem?
    I really don't want to have to send the pistol to CD if I don't have to.
    Is there a warranty repair in or near Saint Louis?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by FXDWG
    I have a CD BUL. When releasing the slide with the slide lock the hammer follows the slide to the hammer half lock position. Anyone know what the problem is or how to correct this problem?
    I really don't want to have to send the pistol to CD if I don't have to.
    Is there a warranty repair in or near Saint Louis?
    Well, it sounds like you have a sear to hammer hook issue. IMHO, you have a couple of options. Send the pistol to a reputable gunsmith to "recut" the existing hammer and sear (assuming there is enough material left on the parts to do so). Replace the FCG in the pistol with aftermarket parts that will not fail, and pay to have them fitted......or.....read up and do the work yourself. It is somewhat involved to learn how, but if you have any related experience, it is do-able.

One other thing I might mention: When dropping the slide with the pistol unloaded, you must protect the hammer and sear from being "peened" and damaged. If you pull the trigger and hold it back while releasing the slide stop, you will disengage the sear from the hammer hooks, protecting the FCG from damage.

Repeated "slide dropping" on a dry pistol will eventually cause hammer follow, especially on 1911 clones assembled with MIM components.

Please take the pistol to a reputable gunsmith, hammer follow is nothing to trifle with.

regards,
    Steve

Posts liked by others
    Try adjusting the the center and left legs of the sear sprig first, apply more presser to the sear & disconnector, and me thinks the problem will go away.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by wichaka
    Try adjusting the the center and left legs of the sear sprig first, apply more presser to the sear & disconnector, and me thinks the problem will go away.
    X2, might also increase the trigger to sear freeplay and/or get an ultra-light trigger bow.
    Dale

Posts liked by others

Hammer follow

Thank you for your advice, gentlemen.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Listen to Wichaka, he knows what he is talking about. Do this test.

Lock the slide back with the slide stop. Press the trigger back and hold it there, while you release the slide by pressing the slide stop down. If your hammer follows with the trigger pressed, then you have a hammer/sear issue. If it doesn't, but it does when the trigger is not pressed, then some more pressure on the middle and left sear spring prongs will cure your issue.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    I did do the Test and discovered it was the main spring. I tweaked it and all is fine.
    Thank you El Commandant and Wichaka.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Sear spring, sear spring my dear friend.

Glad you got your problem solved. Another happy customer!!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Sorry, sear spring