Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 1911 for under $1000

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Question Best 1911 for under $1000

I am looking to own my first 1911. I would like to get a really great looking gun with perfect reliability. It seem everyone has the kimbers and they are great guns. I am looking to get something everyone doesn't have. I have looked a little at the Mitchell Gold Series. Anyone own one of these? The new Mitchell manufacturing ones, not the Mitchell arms ones. How are they? How do they compare with Kimber, Springfield, Sig, etc?

Posts liked by others
    I don't know about the Mitchell, seen pictures and it looks nice, but also look at Para Ordnance. Good guns priced reasonably.

Posts liked by others
    You could (with a little luck) find a good Colt for under a grand. That would be your best bet. If not Springfield will serve you just as well. I wouldn't stray to far from who has been shown to work for almost a century.

Posts liked by others
    You have to decide... Do you want a great 1911 for < $1000 or do you want a 1911 that few others have. If the former then stick with Colt, Springfield Armory or Kimber (personally I'd have a stainless Kimber TLE for about your max of $1000).

If the latter then you can get a low production no name that will cause you trouble or you can get an exclusive 1911 (e.g. Wilson, Baer, Brown) and spend twice your budget.

IMHO,
    Last edited by warmrain; 13th September 2005 at 16:34.

Posts liked by others
    I believe Mitchell's gun were made by Dan Wesson and were equivalent to the Pointman series, but that was before CZ bought them (DW).

Posts liked by others
    Get the original! Quality makes it a Colt!
    -Steve

Col. Colt made 'em equal,
    More or less...

Posts liked by others
    if it isnt a Colt...

its only acopy...

that said, a NRM series 70 can be had for under a grand and its arguably the prettiest blued 1911A1 on the planet...

with the low numbers shipped its also not something 'everybody has'...

david

Posts liked by others
    I've owned 1911s for a number of years now and I must say this is probably the best time to buy one. Not only are there more options out there the there is a large variety of good well built 1911s to choose from. For quality I would look into a Mid-Level Kimber or perhaps find a good used Tactical carry. That's a great peice. Springfield has really impressed me with build quality, affordability, reliability, and most importantly accuracy. I've got a TRP Operator and I have to say it's by far the most accurate 1911 I've ever fired. I bought it for just a hair over a thousand dollars. At the same shop I bought that one from they had about 4 fantastic Kimbers for under a grand and a Colt Gold Cup for about 900.00. Unlike other people in here I won't confuse the topic by slamming other gun makers, personally I think that's a bit conceded and arogant.
    Everyone has their personal preferances and most of the time for good reason. I would suggest going out and looking at a few of them and see what feels most comfortable to you different people like different things, like type of checkering (if any) bushing or non-bushing, full guide rods or none. So, go out and look at a few, don't rule out used guns either. Sometimes, you can get a great deal on gun that was only fired a few times and is still in mint condition.
    Go check out a few and post back with a shorter list having ruled out a few.
    USA Boxing

Posts liked by others

1911 under a grand

ssjb1922:

Either Colt's "new" 70-Series pistols or their XSE model (depends on the type of 1911 you're looking for) can be found for under a grand. The NRM models can be found under $700.

mitchjoe

Posts liked by others

Best 1911 for under $1000

I've been told by 2 gunsmiths and 4 dealers to stay away from Mitchell. There are quite a few choices out there that you can look at. ParaOrd are well made pistols. Only drawback is when you wanna sell it or trade not a lot of 1911 shooters/enthusiasts here in Central Connecticut is hot on ParaOrd's. A few Colt models. Kimbers are under a grand. Check SA 1911s especially model PX9109L which is their parkerized loaded 1911 which retails below $700.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast