Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Askins Avenger Question

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Askins Avenger Question

Hi Folks,
    I have a Bianchi #4L "Askins Avenger" holster - one of my favorites, by the way - but can somebody tell me what the snap on the back is/was for?

Thanks,
    DD

Posts liked by others
    I have an old Bianchi Askins Avenger, too. I wish Bianchi still made them. Or somebody else did to the original Bianchi pattern.

The snap was for an obviously removable safety strap. It was similar to the "thong" on a single action revolver "western" style holster. It was just a leather strap with a snap on one end, and the other end had a slot cut into it a short distance from the end. In use, the slot was slipped over/onto the hammer spur. Intended for use with a regular, not rowel, hammer.
    NRA LE Firearms Instructor
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    No-one is completely worthless...they can always be used as a bad example.
    Last edited by Icepick15; 27th March 2009 at 18:42.

Rio Vista Slim Guest

Tim,

Icepick15 is correct about the removable safety strap. My strap disappeared years ago, but, like you, the Bianchi #4 Askins Avenger is one of my favorite holsters.

Since the Kimber Raptor is long gone, one of these days I need to photograph the holster with one of my Colts.
    Last edited by Rio Vista Slim; 27th March 2009 at 20:42.

Posts liked by others
    Who makes the best Bruce Nelson inspired "Avenger" today?

Rio Vista Slim Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth
    Who makes the best Bruce Nelson inspired "Avenger" today?
    Interesting question.

Milt Sparks makes the #55BN. The "BN" stands for Bruce Nelson. Several other holster makers offer their versions of the old "Professional", which was Mr. Nelson's name for the design.

I happen to think Andy Arratoonian's Covert Model #28 comes closest, with the hand-boned finish of relatively thin leather. The slim nature of the Bianchi "Askins Avenger" is one of the reasons this out-of-production holster is favored by those of us fortunate enough to own one. The Horseshoe Leather Products example is pictured below, in a shorter version made for the 3" barreled pistols.

Last edited by Rio Vista Slim; 4th April 2009 at 07:13. Reason: grammar

Posts liked by others
    Most of the Nelson/Avenger style holsters hold the gun at less of a forward cant than the Bianchi version. The 4 and 4L have the rear belt slot below the trigger, while most others have it more behind the trigger, for a more vertical carry (as shown in the pics). I prefer the angle of the Bianchi version.
    "A grip safety is just another excess moving part. I have never known one to prevent an accident, and moreover, it is difficult to postulate a circumstance in which it might." Jeff Cooper