Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mim parts in sig 1911's

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

mim parts in sig 1911's

Hello
    Whats the big deal about these parts are they not good or what. I mean it seems like a lot of gun use what everyone refers to as mim parts. I just don't understand if the weapon you buy has a life time warranty I mean I don't know just confused I guess. A lot of reputable gun manufactures from what I hear use this system without problems right? Help me to understand.
    Last edited by Dave52; 19th March 2009 at 06:59.

Posts liked by others

The future will prove that the issue of mim parts being bad will be a passing fad. There is no doubt that parts machined from forgings are stronger than mim parts... but that does not mean that mim parts are inadequate. The issue of lifetime warranties is a realative issue... is your pistol for target shooting or protection? If for target shooting all you have lost if any part breaks is a fun afternoon at the range... the lose in the protection category is obvious. It also is a life time. If you are concerned at all, simply choose a 1911 without mim parts or change the mim's out for forged parts.

How about cast vs forged 1911 frames? Another can of worms?

Posts liked by others
    I didn't realize this was kind of a dead horse type thing. I just don't do enough searches I guess. I've never really worried about mim parts I really never even give them a second thought till now. I carry several different guns I mostly carry a Springfield TRP 1911 now I'm sure even that at 1300 bucks has the MIM parts. But I trust it and it goes bang. if it breaks and I can't fix it I'll send it back and carry something else.
    Oh Ya I do carry a P220 a lot those are really nice guns too.
    have a nice day
    Last edited by Dave52; 20th March 2009 at 09:41.

Posts liked by others
    Do a search and you should find several quite thorough discussions on the subject.

Very Short Version - it depends on what part is MIM. A grip safety? Absolutely no problem. A sear? Mmm, will probably outlive you, but the trigger pull may eventually change. A slide stop? Some have posted pics of them having strange chip-like marks, but I can't recall someone saying they broke one...

Don't worry - I think when you read on the topic you will be put at ease...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I saw this posted in the Sig Forum today.

I don't know if there is any truth to this but this poster works at a place that does custom gunwork.

Anyone else have any info on this that "current production" Sig 1911s are made with almost ALL MIM parts for the internals? I know up to later last year they were advertising they had NO MIM internals. I love my GSR 1911 that was made 03/08 and am hoping mine is not filled with poor quality MIM parts and I was also thinking of buying another one.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...935/m/29610495

"Honestly, I would get the Springfield over the GSR without question.
    As I understand it, when the GSR first came out there was no MIM in the guns and the quality was pretty good once they started making their own frames. The current production guns components are completely MIM except either the hammer or sear (I don't remember which right now) and if that were not bad enough, the MIM parts themselves are the worst quality MIM parts I have ever seen in my life."
    Last edited by grumpy1; 8th July 2009 at 21:23.

Posts liked by others
    While I have read comments on MIM parts chiping and/or braking in other 1911 brands, I don't recall doing so for any Sigs. Somebody posted that he didn't like some casting marks on a grip safety a while back, but no damage was involved.
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I wouldn't believe the post on the Sig forum from the poster claiming all internal parts are MIM. Just doesn't compute. Take a look at these threads:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=63803

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=51607

I am not absolutely dead set against MIM but there are too many reports of parts dmage/breakage of certain MIM parts like the sear and slide stop. Better to rely on stronger parts rather than a manufacturer's lifetime warranty. The lifetime warranty ends when your life ends because your gun doesn't go bang when you needed it the most.

Most shooters won't put a lot of rounds through a pistol. For those who do and experience a parts breakage, it may be cheaper for the manufacturer to repair those pistols than to build them without MIM parts.

Posts liked by others
    Thank you for that information. Interestingly I emailed Sig 3 days ago about this and asked for clarification and have not received a response yet. I emailed them the same quote that I posted above. I will update if I get a response.

Posts liked by others
    I spoke today with someone extremely credible at the organization where poster of the link quoted from the sigforum works (see Grumpy1's posting above). Unfortunately, it's an accurate recapitulation of the situation, at least concerning the specific current production SIG-Sauer 1911 example that they just acquired.

I'm very disappointed, to the point that I can only feel comfortable in now recommending the GSR (or whatever it's called on a given day of the week by SIG-Sauer) as basically only as a starting point for a gunsmith. It would appear that an excellent concept has fallen victim to the vicissitudes of profit requirements and market pricing inexorably colliding...

I'm exceptionally pleased with my 06000-sequence serial number XO, but I don't plan on acquiring any more.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonCombatCdrGSR; 21st July 2009 at 10:50.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for that info Jon.

Interestingly I never got a response from Sig which tells me a whole lot. Hopefully my March 2008 serial number 16xxx production model is not in the same category. If it gives me a problem I will take it to a gunsmith to have it upgraded to "good" parts if that is what the problem is. So far it has been stellar for me but only a couple hundred rounds through it.

I plan on not buying any more new Sigs in the future. I have a mid 1990's P220 .45, my GSR, a recently purchased CPO non rail P229 .40 around 2003 vintage, and a new SP2022 9MM which has been a fabulous pistol. But recent comments about problems and cheaper parts with new Sigs in general is troubling on the Sig forum. I want a P226 9MM but will look for a nice non rail CPO instead of new. Sig, from what I have heard, is also shipping new classic P series pistols with plastic guide rods and no longer with braided recoil springs.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by grumpy1; 21st July 2009 at 08:19.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast