Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasermax vs Crimson Trace

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Lasermax vs Crimson Trace

Anybody have any opinions on lasermax internal lasers vs crimson trace lasergrips? I know there are opinions about lasers, don't want that to get started, just want ideas about the internal vs external grip lasers...
    Jody

A full safe is a happy safe....

Posts liked by others
    I did a little homework and asked the guys at my local "good" gun shop about the lasermax they sell. Basically, they've had the same lasermax set in the shop since they got it, and can't move it. They did some testing with one and found it to get dirty quickly. I have not shot a gun equipped with the lasermax system, but I think it's accuracy would be variable since it replaces the recoil spring plug. I have shot three different 1911's with the Crimson Trace setup. The first time, I couldn't see the dot (I am slightly colorblind and it was a bright day) but using the iron sights I hit the dot painted by the laser according to my friends with me that day. The other two I shot were at a demonstration put on by the same shop with the laser max setup. One gun was a little low and left compared to the dot, but after literally 2 minutes worth of adjustment, it was dead on with the iron sights when shot freehand and stayed that way all day long.

Sorry, didn't mean to be so long winded. Based on shooting the CT, vs the same store who sells the laser max reccomending the CT to me, and after reading CT's forums and seeing their good customer service, I'd go CT.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman

Sorry, didn't mean to be so long winded. Based on shooting the CT, vs the same store who sells the laser max reccomending the CT to me, and after reading CT's forums and seeing their good customer service, I'd go CT.

The thing i really like about the lasermax is the internal function. where is the switch located for the 1911, the slide stop?
    Jody

Posts liked by others
    I do not know where lasermax attaches their switch. The Crimson Trace setup has a button on the frontstrap of the grip, where your finger (or at least, where my finger) naturally rests when gripping the gun. There is a master on/off switch on one of the grip panels as well. Basically, once you have a normal grip on the 1911, the laser comes on with the Crimson Trace.

I just hopped over to www.lasermax.com and saw their setup, the laser is turned on and off via a switch that is integrated into the slide stop. I don't know how that will affect field stripping the gun, but I would imagine that it should be designed in such a way that will allow for normal dissasembly of the gun.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman
    I do not know where lasermax attaches their switch. The Crimson Trace setup has a button on the frontstrap of the grip, where your finger (or at least, where my finger) naturally rests when gripping the gun. There is a master on/off switch on one of the grip panels as well. Basically, once you have a normal grip on the 1911, the laser comes on with the Crimson Trace.

I just hopped over to www.lasermax.com and saw their setup, the laser is turned on and off via a switch that is integrated into the slide stop. I don't know how that will affect field stripping the gun, but I would imagine that it should be designed in such a way that will allow for normal dissasembly of the gun.
    Yeah i pooped over to ebay and saw that too. I'd like to find someone that has one already on the gun too!
    Jody

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by fryertuck
    Yeah i pooped over to ebay and saw that too. I'd like to find someone that has one already on the gun too!
    I have both; the LM is on a Sig229 and has a switch on the slide stop. It works well and has caused no problems. It is difficult to obscure the laser port on the front. It is my preferred laser and stays at home on the Sig to provide a house gun for my wife. It has no "master" switch besides the one on the slide stop. Batteries do not last long due to their small physical size. Near POA/POI but may vary from gun to gun. Easy / usual pistol disassembly and quick batt replacement. Cost: higher

The CT is on my ccw/off duty 1911 LB pistol and has an easier to activate switch IF (and only if) the main switch is on. The switch falls naturally in hand when the pistol is gripped. The laser port is, however, easily covered or the laser distorted. The laser grip on the right hand side may interfere with your pistol's grip panel and require mods to the panel if you have an ambi safety. Adjustable for POA/POI to coincide. Batteries are larger and last longer (CT had a plan to keep you in free batts ... don't know if it is still in place, however). Batt replacement - altough less frequent- is a bit cumbersome with no affect - other than grip screws and insulator panels - on pistol disassembly. Cost: a bit lower price.

I also have CT grips on my officer model Colt and recently removed them from my duty weapon; only because it has a rail and I fitted a laser/illuminator M6 for leo use. So, there you have it. One LM and three CT. I prefer the LM, but voted with my checkbook X3 for the CT (one to be listed for sale). 'hope this helps.
    mefly2
    Last edited by mefly2; 23rd August 2005 at 16:19.

Posts liked by others
    [QUOTE=mefly2] I have both; the LM is on a Sig229 and has a switch on the slide stop. It works well and has caused no problems. It is difficult to obscure the laser port on the front. QUOTE]

Sweet, that's what i wanted to know, i will likeky get a LM for the Sig 245, and maybe for the Springfield, who knows?
    Jody

Posts liked by others

Crimson Trace v Laser Max

I had seriously considered putting a Laser Max on my non 1911 duty handgun which was previously the only thing we could carry. To be absolutely sure there would be no problems, I called the manufacturer of my handgun and asked them about reliability issues. The person I talked to was at first reluctant to make a recommendation but said that he would not install it on a duty gun if he was an LEO. He said that the Laser Max is a high maintenance item because you must check the spring very often, which is the weak link of the system. My dept. lifted the restrictions on duty weapons and I just purchased a SA Champion Loaded which I am contemplating putting a Crimson Trace on. Must do my research first though.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    I have never tried either of these on a real pistol I owned, but I had an experience some years ago, when visiting a gunshop, in Las Vegas. I had some money to spend, so I was shopping around, with a friend who is a cop, and I spotted this 1911 with the Crimson Trace Lasergrips.

So, I asked the lady clerk to check it out. I take it into my hands, and the grip felt very much like the standard Pachmayr grips I used to have on my 1911s, at that time. Then, I press the on/off switch and nothing appears, so I guess it is a non-functional unit or that the batteries were removed. I asked the lady, who told me about the main switch at the bottom of the right grip panel.

My friend is standing next to me all this time, watching. So, I flip the switch to the one position, and the switch ... just flies off. I mean it literally came of and fall on the floor. Shocked, I look at my friend, who saw the whole thing and he is amazed too. So, we pick up the small switch from the floor and call the lady to explain.

After some explanations were given (she wanted to charge us for the grips, saying we destroy them), the manager came out and since he knew my friend, he said everything is OK and they would return it to CT.

I do not know how typical this failure is, for CT, you may check these out, before you order. That switch was a real flimsy one.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ceg35173
    I had seriously considered putting a Laser Max on my non 1911 duty handgun which was previously the only thing we could carry. To be absolutely sure there would be no problems, I called the manufacturer of my handgun and asked them about reliability issues. The person I talked to was at first reluctant to make a recommendation but said that he would not install it on a duty gun if he was an LEO. He said that the Laser Max is a high maintenance item because you must check the spring very often, which is the weak link of the system. My dept. lifted the restrictions on duty weapons and I just purchased a SA Champion Loaded which I am contemplating putting a Crimson Trace on. Must do my research first though.
    My SA is a carry gun, so that may be an issue, thanks!
    Jody

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast