Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backstop ideas?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    I will definitely try this. At first, I was looking for as non-perishable a setup as possible, but saran comes cheap!
    ...saran is not as wide as an IDPA target,...
    If you look at stores selling consumables to restaurants, hotels etc, you should be able to find more sizes. Not sure if it's worth the trouble, though!

I shoot scaled down IPSC targets (the international politically correct ones) that fit an A4-sized paper, so I can print as many as I like, and my boxes are relatively small. I shoot at shorter distances than with the real thing anyway...
    Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
    M. Setter

Posts liked by others
    I have a plate practice range set up in my garage. I'm using high density foam for the "plates" and have taped some clear, plastic lids over the foam so the foam doesn't get torn up. The "plates" are attached with a duct tape hinge to some PVC pipe that lays on some bar clamps, clamped horizontally to some cubicle panels. The range is 21 feet, the distance we shoot 6" plates at but I made the foam targets 5 inches in diameter.

For my first setup, I tried a bed sheet "funnel" under the targets to catch bb's and funnel them through a slit in the sheet into a cardboard box. This worked OK but was kind of cumbersome. I now just clamp an old bed sheet to a couple of "cubical walls" that I bought for $1.00 each at a garage sale. I can easily remove the sheet and move the panels so I have access to my garage.

I "bellowed" the sheet out from the cubicle panels to absorb the bb impact and they drop down and "stick" in the piece of scrap carpet below. BB's hitting the foam targets do bounce all over the garage. I just sweep them up toward the carpet and pick them up with a brush and dustpan. For the bb's on the carpet, I pick up the edges and roll them to the center. I wash and dry the bb's and spray a light coat of wax on them and use them again.

The rectangular targets are "A" zone sized. The large ones are actual size and the smaller one is sized for 15 yards. (Every once-in-awhile, we add some IPSC targets to our plate shoot for some variety.)

Airsoft practice has helped me quite a bit. I'm using a TM MEU which is similar in feel (though not weight) to my 9mm Trojan. I can draw and clear 5 plates in just under 3.0 seconds on a few runs but most times are around 3.30-3.50 seconds. I sure wish I could do that with the real thing. With the STI, I average about 3.5-3.8 seconds when everything is working right.

WyoBob

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123