Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Break Down a RIA compact

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Break Down a RIA compact

I'm going to give back a little here since This seems to be a question that is constantly coming up. John if possible can we make this a sticky.

Step:1 Safety first. Always insure that your weapon is unloaded

Step :2 Get a paper clip and bend the last 1/8" or so at a 90 degree angle, Like this:

Step 3: Look for the hole in the guide rod. It should look like this:

If you are one of the unfortunate few who don't have this hole you can dis assembly without it, it is just a handful. My suggustion is to drill a hole in the guide rod after you get it stripped.

Step 4: Insert the paperclip into the hole and allow the slide to move forward against the paperclip. Like this:

To Be continued:
    There are 6,475 bolts and screws in a car, It takes 1 nut to spread them all over the road.
    Last edited by doctruptwn; 22nd December 2008 at 14:23.

Posts liked by others
    Page 2,

Step 5: Move the slide back to the disassembly hole. Remove the slide stop. Like this:

Step 6: Remove the slide from the frame, Like this:

Step 7: Remove te recoil spring and guide rod. Like this:

Continued:
    There are 6,475 bolts and screws in a car, It takes 1 nut to spread them all over the road.

Posts liked by others
    Page 3

Step 8: Remove the barrel out the front of the slide just like it's big brother 1911. Like this:

If you are one of the folks who doesn't have the hole follow the above procedure. Except, Omit the paperclip, Simply move the slide back until the disassembly cut lines up with the slide stop lug and push the slide stop out. then remove the slide assembly off the front of the frame. This is a handful because you are working against the recoil spring which is trying to push the slide into battery.

Reassembly is exactly the reverse of disassembly. Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of compact 1911's
    Last edited by doctruptwn; 22nd December 2008 at 14:27.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn
    I'm going to give back a little here since This seems to be a question that is constantly coming up. John if possible can we make this a sticky.
    I'm your huckleberry, and I'll make it so.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    Your the man, And fast too, I didn't even get it refreshed.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn
    Your the man, And fast too, I didn't even get it refreshed.
    I'm like a thief in the night, except that I don't steal anything from you and it is broad daylight. But other than that, I'm EXACTLY like a thief in the night.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    You're my hero Doc, thanks so much for posting this.

Also, lol @ Tom.

Posts liked by others
    If your guide rod doesn't have a hole and you're going to drill one, drill it so the slide stop lines up with the take down notch in the slide.

Also, I used a paper clip on a replacement guide rod I was trying to use in my LW Champion. I dis-assembled the pistol and left the paper clip in the assembly. The next morning, I had parts scattered all over the shop. The (probably made in China) paper clip let go. I cut down the leg of an allen wrench and used a rubber "O" ring to hold the allen wrench solidly to the guide rod to keep things from flying apart and make it easy to remove and re-install the assembly.

WyoBob
    Likes (2) :
    Rusty Guns (6th September 2022), SteveRIA10 (12th October 2021)

Posts liked by others
    I decided to do a little update here. Here is a pic holding the slide open to the takedown slot. I was able to simply push the slide stop out with my index finger from this position.

Some one had also posted a pic of how to remove the recoil spring using a spent 45 casing. If you find, that yours is sticking, but I can't find it. If you see it go ahead and add it here.

Posts liked by others
    Also, take a look at the info at

http://tropicalhibiscus.com/RIA-Compact/index.html

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast