Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: My New RIA Officer's Model

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

My New RIA Officer's Model

This is pretty much copy/paste from a post I made on TFL so if you've already read that one I apologize for repeating myself lol.

I've had money down on a Ruger LCP for the past 5 months now and I finally got tired of waiting. I went to the gun store today to get my deposit back. Since I was already in the store I decided to do a quick look over the inventory and see what all they had. I was fondling a CZ P01 and was about to buy it when I decided to check out the 1911 counter. Lo and behold, there was a Rock Island Armory Officer's model in the counter. I asked to see it and noticed something strange about it. It had the beaver tail grip safety and commander hammer but it had the GI sights and trigger. This is an odd combination because usually the RIA tactical models have the skeletonized trigger with target sights and extended controls in addition to the beaver tail grip safety and commander hammer. RIA makes a plain GI officer's model and they also make a tactical officer's model but this one is a cross between the two.

I prefer the GI trigger to the adjustable match triggers mostly because the little hole in the trigger for the allen wrench usually irritates my finger during long range sessions, so I see the GI trigger as a plus. The GI sights I am not a fan of, but I plan on having some fun with this gun and aftermarket sights would have been in the works anyways. I ended up getting it for under $400 which is hard to beat for a micro-1911 (or even a full-size 1911 for that matter). I also got 4 of these Chip McCormick Match Grade 1911 Officer 45 ACP 7-Round Stainless Steel Magazines new for $10 a piece, which I thought was a sweet deal.

And last but not least, the pictures:

Is there a how-to somewhere on field stripping this gun? I've been googling all afternoon and haven't come up with anything conclusive. I can get the slide off the frame no problem, it's just getting the full-length guide-rod out that's a problem.

Edit: Just read the other thread about using a paperclip. I will try that one next time I have it apart.
    Last edited by David the Gnome; 19th December 2008 at 16:55.

Posts liked by others
    Congrats! Looks just like mine, except mine has a serial number! AFAIK, that version is the 2nd version, with the 3rd version having the Novak sights. The 1st version was basically a mini-GI model.

You're gonna like it!
    Hi! My name is Ron, I have pistolitis and a brass-pickin' jones.....

I child-proofed my house, but they're still getting in!

Posts liked by others
    Congrats! Looks just like mine, except mine has a serial number! AFAIK, that version is the 2nd version, with the 3rd version having the Novak sights. The 1st version was basically a mini-GI model.

You're gonna like it! Might want to consider getting a Wolff recoil spring for it.
    Hi! My name is Ron, I have pistolitis and a brass-pickin' jones.....

I child-proofed my house, but they're still getting in!

Posts liked by others
    Hehe, there's a serial number but I rather crudely photoshopped it off. I don't normally but I was already in photoshop for another project so I figured, what the hey.

Posts liked by others
    Congrats on the new RIA Compact David the Gnome!!!
    "This is the 44 Magnum Auto Mag and holds a 300 grain cartridge and if properly used it can remove the fingerprints."

Posts liked by others
    welcome David the gnome, you got a purdy pistol there. nice pics too.
    some people just need a high five...in the face...with a chair.

Posts liked by others
    I am in the process of getting one of these. Is anyone carring this gun as their edc and if so what holster?
    Last edited by riacompact; 2nd January 2009 at 14:43.

Posts liked by others
    What is an "edc"?

Translation, please.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Every Day Carry

Posts liked by others
    very very nice I thought about getting one of the micr RIA's but in the end as good as they feel in the hand the Gov't model just feels better and after carrying a springfield XD loaded with 19 rnds of 9mm theres not much of a weight difference to get used to. That is one very nice Rock ya got there Dave congrats and lets see a range report when ya can