Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: New RIA - extractor removal problem

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

New RIA - extractor removal problem

I have a new RIA (tactical if that matters) and can't seem to get the extractor out in what I would call an easy fashion. The firing pin plate, pin and spring all come apart no problem. The extractor itself wiggles just a bit (maybe 1/8" or less?) rearwards but I just can't seem to get it out of the channel. I tried pushing, pulling, tugging and all sorts of other non-destructive ways to get it out -- am I missing something here, is there something else I need to do to get this puppy out of the frame to clean? Is there some sort of spring to depress?

50 rounds fresh out of the case (with all that factory packing gunk on/in it) I had 2 FTF and 2 failures to return to battery - she needed a complete strip & lube I think, mags and all.
    ¡prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado! - emiliano zapata salazar

Posts liked by others
    first, soak the heck out of it with a good penetrating oil: Kroil, WD-40, etc.

second, with the slide as disassembled as possible, get a strong non-marring tool like a plastic spudger, brass punch or screwdriver, or wooden dowel. your objective is to push the extractor hook away from the breech face (to the right, facing the rear of the slide) while prying the extractor out of the back. a small enough tool can simply be lightly wedged in the extractor channel, lying down the length of the slide. to pry the extractor out, get a pad of tough material (cardboard, leather) to protect the fulcrum, a.k.a. the other side of the firing pin stop channel, and use another non-marring tool to hook under the extractor's FPS channel and start prying. a vise is pretty critical for this operation.

btw, Troy... i'm only mildly offended that you bought a new gun - a 1911 at that - and didn't tell me! just come down here! i've got all the tools and chemicals you need to get that 1911 ship-shape and Bristol fashion, including a ginormous vise. if you want to do a full disassembly and see how that motherlover ticks, roll on through.

- emilio "yes, that emilio" g

P.S. this thread will likely be moved by a mod...

Posts liked by others
    Hmmm, should the extractor really be that hard to get out that I need to resort to a tool? Is this a normal thing for the 1911? I'll admit it's the first one I've owned, I bought it as an inexpensive way to try out CDP class (IDPA). BTW I'm over on calguns.net mainly, you can follow the collection over there.
    ¡prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado! - emiliano zapata salazar

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by rivviepop
    Hmmm, should the extractor really be that hard to get out that I need to resort to a tool? Is this a normal thing for the 1911?
    it varies by make and gun. some have extractors that practically fall out once the FPS is removed... that never strikes me as a good thing. the extractor should be a sturdy thing; one drawback of the 1911's design is that with loose enough tolerances the extractor can "clock" or rotate in its channel, leading to feeding and ejection problems. now, once you have it out you can smooth the finish a teeny bit to make it easier to deal with, but really, you shouldn't be removing the extractor often - maybe every 3000-5000 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rivviepop
    BTW I'm over on calguns.net mainly, you can follow the collection over there.
    general gun forums tend to annoy me - i like gun-specific forums. M1911.org is probably the best and most constructive forum i've ever encountered for any subject, anywhere. serious, academic-level discussions occur over 1911 minutiae, it's awesome.

dude, seriously. you could do little better than to come spend an evening taking apart your new baby in my workshop. we'll nosh sushi and geek out on guns - i'm like 4 blocks from Caltrain, too (and transport there is the same for cars: unloaded and locked up). call me.

oh yeah, happy new year!
    - emilio