Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrades

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Upgrades

Hey guys,,,Mods I think this is the correct area to ask this,,pleae let me know if it isn't ! I have a Springfield GI and I am looking at a few Upgrades,,I don't want to turn it into a Match Pistol by any means,,I want to shoot 230 Hardball first and formost and worry about other loads down the road if I chose something different. I guess I need Sites first,,,then a better trigger. After that,,I was thinking beveled mag area,,,lowered ejection port,etc ! Anymore ideals would be appreciated. It is just going to be a range gun & maybe a carry gun once in awhile,so I don't feel the need (or expence) to change out the BBL or really go crazy on it,I just want to enhance the funtion and accuracy alittle,but am open to any ideals and info. Also some ideals on Smiths in the North East area would be helpfull also,,I'm a Central NY guy,, Anyone herad of these guys,,, http://www.angusarms.com/ Thanks in advance !!

Posts liked by others
    How many rounds have you shot with this gun?
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 27th November 2008 at 19:52.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s
    How many rounds have you shot with this gun?
    I bought it Used,,so not sure about the previous owner. I have put about 500 rds down it myself. As far as the Story behind the gun,,,my Gun Guy told me a fellow Ordered it from Gander MT,,,but when it came in it wasn't the Gun he wanted,,he wanted the Mil-Spec,,,so he traded it in at my Gun Guys place and got what he wanted. I don't think he had it very long,,but I could tell it had been shot when I got it,,outside looked good,,but BBL was far from clean,,not bad,,but I could tell it had been shot,,which is no big deal !

Posts liked by others
    Col. Jeff Cooper said that all a gun needs is sights you can see, a good trigger, and no sharp edges to bite the owner. I would start with that and a case of ammo.

Lowered ejection ports aren't always necessary. The original USGI guns didn't have them. Ditto for opened up (beveled) mag wells.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Just wanted to make sure you yourself had shot it enough to assess its reliability - especially for a carry gun

You said you wanted to "enhance the function and accuracy a little":

• Does it have any function problems now? (i.e., has it ever failed to feed, chamber, fire, extract or eject a round?)
    • How accurate is it now?
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Lowering the port, is over rated. If the brass is coming out now.....I'd leave it alone.

Sights I can understand........

As for the barrel. As long as it's fitted well, and the bushing is a good low tolerance fit.......you're good to go there as well.

All these match barrels etc., are over rated as well. I guess one needs to ask, what are you planning on doing with the gun?

Carry defense/combat shooting? or bullseye type shooting?

The stock barrel will do you for 90% of any type of shooting you'll probably do.

I still think Cooper's idea is hard to beat.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    If you are in the N.E I would look up George at EGW. I would talk to him and see what recommendations that he might have. For me a good trigger and a nice set of sights is where I would start. You might want look at a YoBo rear sight, I have found that they give you a excellent sight picture and also retain the original appearance a little. You might want to check out the Custom Pistol thread and I am sure you will see a few details that you like. Good luck......

Posts liked by others
    First thing is grips, unless the factory ones fit you well. More accuracy gains come from fit than any parts replacement. Second is a smoother trigger, which may or may not require new parts. Does require some skill and patience though. Third is a good set of sights. Try out some different ones and find what matches your needs. Sounds like you can go with fixed sights; that'll give you a price break and fewer moving parts.

After the grips and fire-control tuning but before the sights I'd suggest dry-fire time and range time. The sights you have, although minimal, are good enough to get you started. Lots of skills to work on while you test out different sights. My favorite were the ones that came on a SIG. Crisp definition, strong tritium. The Sprinfield and Glock sights I've used are decidely not as good as the SIGs, but Brownells probably has better, too.

I've had a little bit of contact with EGW and would have no heartburn sending them a gun for tuning. Most of the time I look for new parts I see if they have what I want first.

Leam

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc
    Col. Jeff Cooper said that all a gun needs is sights you can see, a good trigger, and no sharp edges to bite the owner. I would start with that and a case of ammo.

Lowered ejection ports aren't always necessary. The original USGI guns didn't have them. Ditto for opened up (beveled) mag wells.
    Hey guys,,lots of good info !! I agree that I need Sites first,,especially for my 54 year old eyes !! I hear ya on the grips also leam,,I use and love the Hoage Grips,,the wrap around with finger groves in the front,,I have them on Both my pistols. Hey garrettwc a case of ammo is Noooooooo,,problem,,I'm pretty well set in that area,,,plus I have a buddy that is a Cop and he brings me a 5 gal pail of once fired brass a couple times a year !!! Anyways,,I will do a little more reserch but will appreciate anymore ideals and info !!

As far as funtion,,it does pretty good,,I have good mags and that is 99% of the functioning part,,,I may of had a FTF or FTE,,,but if I have,,it was few and far between. It is pretty accurate also considering the sites,,if I bench it and do my part it does ok for a box stock pistol with Winchester White Box 230 ball ammo,,most will be in the black. It will be a little while before I get it up and running,,trying to get through the Holidays,,,plus if you read into my name,,,I have some other "SEVERE" sicknesses,,,LOL !!!! But with that said,,I will keep you guys posted and will get some picks up as soon as I can !! Thanks again !!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy
    Also some ideals on Smiths in the North East area would be helpfull also,,I'm a Central NY guy,, Anyone herad of these guys,,, http://www.angusarms.com/ Thanks in advance !!
    I have not heard of the shop to which you posted the link.

Someone else suggested EGW. Excellent suggestion. EGW is located in northeastern Pennsylvania (Quakertown, I think), if that's not too far for you. Another excellent 1911 shop in the North East area is JoJo's, in Southington, Connecticut.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast