Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, Blue Ridge Firerarms or Field Supply, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 1911 reliability

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

Taurus 1911 reliability

I'm sure this gets asked a lot (I've been away from 1911's for a few months), but just how reliable is the Taurus PT1911? I used to have a RIA that I really liked and never had a lick of trouble with, and I foolishly traded it. Now I've got the itch for another 1911 and there are a couple of Tauruses (Tauri?) available locally that I'm considering trading one of my XD9's for.

From what I've read it seems the PT1911 has a habit of the safeties and other small parts breaking. Is this overblown or if I get one can I expect to have to replace a few parts. My XD9 is bulletproof and I don't want to give up something that reliable for something that's not.

Don't mean to offend anyone, just looking for real world answers for a day or two to see if I want to make an offer.

Many thanks!

This is from memory, so please forgive any innaccuracies. I'm sure others will relay their experiences.

There were several surveys done on this site over the last year or so, and the problems appear to be be few, but vocal. The ambi thumb safety sounds like the major culprit with about 5% of the owners (on this site) having some problem with them. Slide release, hammer and sear, barrel bushing issues have also been reported, but at a lower incidence than the thumb safety.

In general, customer service definitely gets a pretty bad review. I won't use them ona 1911 like this unless there is some major malfunction. I prefer to do the work myself or have one of the local 'smiths do the work I'm not comfortable with.

I have over 1200 rounds through mine with no issues. It is more than accurate enough for my purposes. It feeds all the ammo I have tried from Aquilla IQ to Winchester "white box" and everything in between, ball or hollow point. There are folks with >5000 rounds without problems, and folks whose pistols broke the first time at the range.

All in all, I don't regret buying one. I may not buy another though, lots of competition out there. Looking at the Firestorm for another possible project gun.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing - Edmund Burke

Well, I've been sitting here for the last hour doing research online and I think I'm beginning to talk myself into it. The one that I'm looking at is supposed to be brand new in the box (and I've dealt with this gentleman before and I'd believe him). In a picture he has it shows it with pearl white grips, although he says he has the black ones as well, so I don't know if the white ones are original or not. I found something online where apparently then can be a factory option.

This could get interesting

I bought mine at a gunshow about a month ago. I already have over 400 rounds thru it and have not had one FTF or FTE. It is Very accurate out of the box. My ambi safety if very tight with a very positive "click" on and off. The finish and fit is great and I have no complaints to date whatsoever. I even really like the hienie straight 8 sights alot!

I have a stainless steel model and would reccomend that model highly (if you like the stainless look)

Here is a target of mine at 15 - 20 yards (not sure) but you can see she is very accurate. First shot was low (my fault) and 7th shot was high (i anticipated the shot) ... but the rest are right in there.

I think Taurus learned what was the issues and fixed the majority of them.

HeartRIII Productions
    www.GottaHaveHeart.net
    Because children are our future and child abuse is not acceptable

Well, now I'm just waiting to hear back from the gentleman that has the one I'm looking at.
    Last edited by ab4ka; 26th November 2008 at 00:28.

Mine worked fine.
    Harrison/Baer - Dan Wesson Valor

Blog Entries
    From what we have read here:

Usually Tauri are reliable. They have some issues, as said above, but the main problem is not the pistol itself. It's the lack of a good customer support organization. There have been horror stories of a three-month period to get a replacement safety. I think an unlucky guy who had an issue with his barrel had to wait for something like six months to get his pistol back.

Since this is a 2nd hand weapon, ask the owner to fire it. If it works (and the price is right) go for it. If it has one single issue, I would pass, or at least be prepared to fix it without any help from the factory.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

I owned mine for a little over two months and ran about 450 rounds through it before I traded it for something else. The trade wasn’t so much because anything went wrong with it but because I had a growing distrust of what Taurus would (or wouldn’t) do if something did go wrong. Also the gun did have a slight issue right out of the box which I was able to resolve.

I had brought the gun home and field stripped it to clean out the packing grease and re-lube. After reassembly I found that when I inserted a full 8 round magazine and then either hit the slide release, did a slingshot, or racked the slide (I tried several methods) and the first round (of FMJ) would hang up on the feed ramp. A bump with my hand caused it to finish going into battery. After that first round, manually working the slide would feed all of the following rounds just fine.

Closer inspection revealed the slightest roughness of the feed ramp, not on the "trough" area but high on each side. A brief and gentle bit of work with a felt tipped dremel and some jewelers rouge polished it all right up and then there were no further feed issues but the gun still felt awfully gritty and the grip safety wanted to hang up a little (it would stick in the "squeezed down" position when released and then pop out).

Now keep in mind that so far I hadn't actually FIRED this gun yet.

So I finally gave in and did a -total- takedown of the pistol.

WOW! There were burrs and little curls of metal shavings ALL OVER the internals of this gun, especially around the trigger mechanism and the grip safety! I wound up doing quite a bit of deburring, polishing and just general cleaning to remove it all. I shudder to imagine the amount of trouble all of that stuff would have caused in the long run had I not gotten that out of there.

Over time I've owned several Taurus firearm so I’ve given them more than a fair shake, but I've decided at this point that you simply cannot accept a Taurus as a "finished" product. Before you go to shoot one for the first time you simply must do a total takedown and inspection...or find someone who knows how to do it because although the majority will be fine, some will need some serious TLC and Taurus customer service is useless.

Well, after lots of surfing and reading last night, the consensus seems to be that the vast majority are great guns with no problems. The most common issue is the safety breaking, which if it does you just replace it with the part of your choice. The biggest issue is the poor customer service support, but odds are you won't need to use it.

He's willing to trade with me, now I've just got to decide if I want to do it.

Is it a stainless model or a blued model? And why are you trading the XD9?... Those are good guns, I was thinking about a XDM9 as a backup weapon. My .45 is always my primary as nothing stops like a .45.

have you seen the Taurus yet? Why is he trading it? ... You just need to check out the gun. rack the slide, see how it feeds ammo, how it ejects, click the safety a couple of times (if safety is loose just push em together)... Field strip it and look over major parts.

If you do your due diligence you should not have any issues.

good luck!
    HeartRIII Productions
    www.GottaHaveHeart.net
    Because children are our future and child abuse is not acceptable

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast