Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 grip bushing size?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

1911 grip bushing size?

If I were to tap out a Norc for 1911 standard grips/bushing size, can anyone tell me what size TAP I need? Is it 236"-60 (or is this oversize)?

Norc's have smaller diamter and metric grip bushing threads, and I want to go factory 'colt' to open up the choices/options. Oversize would just put me back in the same boat (albeit a bigger one).

Thanks.

Posts liked by others
    According to the blueprints (available here on the forum) .236"-60 is the standard 1911 grip screw bushing tap size.

Posts liked by others
    You won't find the tap for the grip bushings at your friendly, local Ace hardware store. The only place I have seen it is Brownells.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Don't know what thread spec the Norinco frames are tapped for, but make sure the major diameter of the Norinco threads is the same size (or less) than the minor diameter of the new threads.

Otherwise, the tap drill for the new threads will not remove all of the old threads and the strength of the connection will suffer. There's only about 6 threads in the grip bushing hole on a M1911A1.

Just tossed that out as something to consider.
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    You won't find the tap for the grip bushings at your friendly, local Ace hardware store. The only place I have seen it is Brownells.
    Midway has O/S Svensen brand for about $25. Also the standard size...

Here
    Johnny

I miss America
    Sent from my keyboard using hunt-n-peck...
    SCIENTIA SIT POTENTIA
    Last edited by Pappy; 20th November 2008 at 18:41.

Posts liked by others
    Why not drill the holes out to accept a standard bushing and then use JB Weld, loctite or Gorilla Glue to hold them in place? If you chamfer the inside of the bushing holes, it will help the glue hold the bushing in place kind of like chamfering when staking bushings.
    Cocked & Locked since 1911

Posts liked by others
    It's rather important to be able to remove the grip screw bushings in the future just in case the bushing itself needs to be replaced. For instance if someone in the future should strip out the internal threads within the bushing.

Blue Loctite would be ok but red Loctite, JB Weld, Gorilla Glue, etc. would render the grip screw bushings difficult if not impossible to remove in the future without damaging the frame.

If the major diameter of the metric threads is to large to allow rethreading to accept a standard bushing, you could install an oversize bushing, properly staked with perhaps a little blue Loctite added for good measure.

Posts liked by others
    The same drill bit that would be used to open the Norinco frame for standard bushings would be employed to remove the standard bushing if its internal threads were trashed. The solution I offered is inexpensive, doesn't require specialty tools and it works. It probably does not offer protection from those who would install grip screws with a lug wrench.
    Cocked & Locked since 1911

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenL4
    The solution I offered is inexpensive . .
    And that's certainly a genuine consideration. Last time I checked the price of the standard and oversize bushing taps they were . . . well, whatever they were I almost cried!

Cheers
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]

Posts liked by others
    I don't think chamfering the hole in the frame is a good idea; the material is pretty thin and there aren't that many threads in it to begin with.

I've fixed problem ones (just got loose, no thread damage) by starting the bushing into the frame, then applying blue Loctite to the threads with the tip if a toothpick and tightening the bushing into place. They'e all still tight.

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast