Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SIG 556 Commando... does anyone know about this firearm?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Question SIG 556 Commando... does anyone know about this firearm?

While visiting my local gunstore yesterday... looking at their fast disappearing supply of EBR's... I noticed one carbine that was new to me... a SIG 556 Commando.

Here's a photo from a GB auction showing one...

From what I read, this one has a "Bush Green" stock and forearm... and is a special edition of only 1,000 made.

I know almost nothing at all about this firearm... other than it has a vastly different operating system from a AR-15/M4 carbine.

Does anyone have any experience with the SIG 556? How does it compare to... a Colt LE 6520 or 6920 carbine, for instance... or any other quality AR rifle/carbine?

Thanks,
    Cliff

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope".

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others
    It's a piston operating system, that is very clean, as there's no gas from the rounds running thru the action, and it takes standard AR type magazines.

They are kind of nose heavy, but very good, accurate, reliable rifles.

I had a Sig 551 for a short time, but sold it as it was overall much heavier than the AR platform, and really didn't see enough advantage to warrant the cost difference.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, Wichaka...

I'll have to return Monday and examine this one again. I failed to notice the heaviness on the front end... certainly something to look at.

My gunstore's price was surprisingly competitive on this carbine when compared to many of the other higher line AR carbines they had available.

It was a tad over $1,500... less than I saw them selling for on GB!

Of course, my eternal favorite will remain an AR-15 rifle and/or carbine...

Cliff

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope".

- Sir Winston Churchill

Retired and living in the mountains of NE PA
    Posts liked by others
    I absolutely love mine.

If you want one, grab it now. The only ones left are the handful still currently on the shelves. This "Sports South Exclusive" was a special run of 1000 rifles made by SIG for their distributor, Sports South (the oldest and largest gun distributor in the US), and they are sold out.

Check GunsAmerica. There's an AZ gun dealer listing them for $1350 + shipping. That's the cheapest I've seen anywhere if they still has any.

Regarding the weight issue, the AR-15 can weigh anywhere from 5.5 lbs to 8.5 lbs depending on the manufacturer and model. The SIG 556 Commando weighs in at 7.6 lbs, so, yes, it's a bit heavier than the average AR. However, I've always believed the gas piston system (ala AK47, M14, etc) inherently superior to the AR's direct gas system, so the slight weight trade off is something I willingly accept. The SIG is a fine weapon.

Steve - NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4/1/91) Life Member: VFW, VVA, NRA
    Right way's the hardest. Wrong way's the easiest. A rule of nature like water seeks the path of least resistance. So you get crooked rivers and crooked men. Sheriff Hank Pearson (Rip Torn) in "Extreme Prejudice"
    Last edited by XTrooper; 9th November 2008 at 10:08.

Posts liked by others
    P.S.- FWIW, I paid $1500 out the door for mine and felt very fortunate.
    Right way's the hardest. Wrong way's the easiest. A rule of nature like water seeks the path of least resistance. So you get crooked rivers and crooked men. Sheriff Hank Pearson (Rip Torn) in "Extreme Prejudice"

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrooper
    I absolutely love mine.

If you want one, grab it now...
    Thanks, XTrooper... and I do appreciate the photo posted. I forgot to mention the folding stock...

I'm not adverse to the extra weight as I just don't see me lugging it around all day long. Too, for the inherent advantages you reference, it's a fair trade.

You definitely got a great price... and it does sound as if I better act on this one if I have any notion of wanting one of these. The available but limited supply is certainly under much heavier pressure as we've seen this past week.

Cliff

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others
    You're welcome!

One thing I forgot to mention about the weight. The 556 models like the Commando which have 551-style forends are 1/2 lb lighter than those that have the regular forends with Picatinney rails on all four sides. A half pound doesn't sound like a lot, but you definitely feel the difference when going from one model to another. The Commandos may be all gone, but SIG has released their new 556 Classic which has similar but not identical 551-style forends as the Commando.

Posts liked by others
    ...A half pound doesn't sound like a lot, but you definitely feel the difference when going from one model to another..
    That ½ a pound would surely be noticeable on the front end of the carbine.

...The Commandos may be all gone, but SIG has released their new 556 Classic which has similar but not identical 551-style forends as the Commando.
    There were 2 (and only 2) running on GB earlier today. One of those sold a few hours ago for $1,800 plus... and the remaining 556 Commando is still up for grabs with a $1,600 plus current bid.

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others
    I myself purchased the 556 SWAT model a few weeks ago. It is indeed, as XTrooper stated, nose heavy, and the quad rail forend it comes fitted with adds to that. But it is a fine weapon and a joy to shoot! I don't regret my purchase at all and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up

Looks great, Hockler!

I finally got my Aimpoint in this week. Now if the high winds and snow squalls would let up for a day or two, I'll be able to get out to the range and sight it in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast