Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Ultra II and Sight Change

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Question Ultra II and Sight Change

The stock black sights are not doing it for me. I have a set of Meprolight sights in the mail and I would like to know if this is something that I can change out myself? Is there a special tool required? Is my only option taking the Kimber to a gunsmith and have the sights installed there?

TIA,

Elmer

Posts liked by others
    Use of a proper sight removal/installation tool is recommended. Kimber sights are often in very tight.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick McC.; 2nd November 2008 at 18:03.

Posts liked by others
    So hammer and chisel are probably too crude? Ok, where does one obtain a sight removal/installation tool or is the cost too prohibitive and the old find a gunsmith would be the better choice?

Thanks for the response,

I found this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=172968

Elmer
    Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 2nd November 2008 at 18:44.

Posts liked by others
    hammer and steel punch = broken tritium vial...
    "Under the table Greebo sat and washed himself. Occasionally he burped.
    Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat."

Greebo the Cat - Terry Pratchett "Witches Abroad"

Posts liked by others
    Brownells, Midway, etc.

I think good ones are around $100.00. If you've got a good local smith, I'd get a price from him before I ordered one.

Take care,

Rick

Posts liked by others
    Got it. See what the gunney says and compare to having to buy the tool and go from there.

Thanks folks,

Elmer

Posts liked by others
    You might google "sight removal tool". I saw a homemade one that the "inventor" made for a couple of dollars. He said it worked very well and could be made by anyone.

Posts liked by others
    OK, I've read 'til I'm going blind. I think I'm going to try it myself.

KEY QUESTION!!!

Looking from the rear sight toward the front sight, which way does the front sight slide out?

Toward the right (ejection slide side) or toward the left (thumb safety side)

Thanks,

Elmer

Posts liked by others
    Never mind answering. I found it in the sticky section.

I sure don't want to offend and not search properly and get another warning. I've already got a warning on my first post.

I can do with the information I read.