Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: USGI 1911 magazines

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

USGI 1911 magazines

I was doing a search and found some USGI 1911 45 ACP Mags- 7 Rd for $58.00 a dozen. I was wndering if anybody knows if they are good magazines, becasue iwas considering buying a dozen. WIll they work in the Springfield well. I tried to do a search but did not find anything about them.

You are getting 12 new in the sealed wrap 1911 45acp mags. These will fit gov't model 1911 and 1911 clones that take 7 rds. mags. The dates and manufacturers may vary from the photo.These are at wholesale prices

http://www.oldsargesdropzone.com/product.php?item=1151

Posts liked by others
    I doubt these are genuine USGI. If I read the picture correctly the contractor coded is 30745. This code is associated with a lot of gun show junk mags.
    The mags I have seen do not have tapered feed lips. Instead they have wadcutter feedlips, which are not USGI spec and will/can cause feeding problems. This looks like junk to me.

Posts liked by others
    Please view this thread:

—for magazine ID & etc.

30745 is an "obsolete" CAGE code.

Regards,

Walt

Posts liked by others
    No argument about 30745 being an obsolete code.

My point was that code shows on the fake USGI mags that I have seen at shows.

In person they are obviously not USGI. Feedlips aren't right, side hole sizes and spacing aren't right, the quality/stiffness of the metal isn't right.

A cheap price and that code are two red flags to me. I steer away from them.

Posts liked by others
    While I don't have your experience re: M1911 mags, I have found ersatz M14 mags (blued, no less!) in what appears to be genuine USGI (re) packaging.

Sigh. Some folks will spare no expense to make something look legit, instead of making the effort to make them legit in the first place!

Regards,

Walt

Posts liked by others
    OK, let's do some quick math.

$58 / 12 each = $4.85 per mag retail.

ProMags, arguably some of the worst mags on the market, are 4 times that on sale at Midway USA. Do you really want to trust your $500+ firearm to a couple of dollars worth of suspect metal?
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    wkjuleck - You are so right about the M14 mags.

There is an entire art form in buying M14 mags to avoid buying fakes.

Proper IDs on the mags (W, OM, BRW S1, etc), number of spot welds on the front of the mag (12 plus the one by the square hole), number of welds on the tab on the back (depends upon the contractor). Some people even have to look at the follower design and number of spring coils to find genuine mags.

Likewise, there are a lot of fake USGI 1911 magazines. There only a few contractor codes that I will trust (IM291 made by Checkmate for one) and only when inspecting the "USGI" mags in person.
    Last edited by tenx; 29th October 2008 at 12:02.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the fast responses. I have been looking for a 1911 for a while now and was considering stocking up on some mags becaseu of the price. I will not be wasting my money.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Wise decision!
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Midway has Chip McCormick mags on sale right now. I have a bagful, and they all work good for me.
    Hi! My name is Ron, I have pistolitis and a brass-pickin' jones.....

I child-proofed my house, but they're still getting in!