Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ron Phillips Custom Arrives

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Ron Phillips Custom Arrives

What is it like to receive a gun made to your own specifications by a master craftsman? It's like entering a cathedral to the sound of a distant Gregorian chant while being embraced by the aroma of incense and burning candles. Not fancy, it lies before me in subdued elegance.

I admire the Smith & Alexander magwell blended to the frame almost seamlessly mated to the G10 diagonal flat bottom grips. The thick barrel bushing blends perfectly with the beveled barrel. The letter "P" engraved on the recoil spring plug stands as quite witness to the guns creator, Ron Phillips. I grasp the slide and move it back. There is a firm resistance. It is tight. I apply pressure to the trigger. It breaks sharp and clean. I thumb cock the hammer and set the thumb safety, both firm and tight. Field stripping reveals bushing to frame, bushing to barrel, and lug fit all tight. There is no excess clearance, everything fits together perfectly.

The first hundred rounds feed flawlessly and the target shows the gun is more accurate than I. The target today is fifty feet away. I shoot off hand standing in one position. Not my favorite stuff. Tomorrow will be action shooting practice.

My Ron Phillips 1911A1 is a custom pistol because I specified certain features that I prefer and find useful. The difference between a bag full of the parts I like and a fine pistol is the skill and craftsmanship of the gunsmith fitting and assembling the parts. I am more than satisfied with my custom pistol.

Some of you may have noticed that George at Gunslingers has received a similar Ron Phillips custom and offers it for sale.

I will defer to the Ron Phillips web site for pictures. The first six pictures are of my gun. The next seven are of the gun George has for sale. See if you can catch all the differences.

http://www.phillips1911.com/gallery/
    Good people sleep peaceably at night with a Nighthawk GRP Recon at bedside.

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    LoRL, well Ron invited me to check the pictures out a little while ago. Fine gun, congrats.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

Posts liked by others
    Congratulations , Ron's made you one awesome pistol . Great description , you can almost see it without the photos . Enjoy !
    Focus on the positive while dealing positively with the negative.
    Hawkmoon - 19th August 2008

Posts liked by others
    It sounds great. Congrats!
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    WOW! That is a top notch custom 1911! Excellent beavertail fit, checkering looks great, magwell blend is very nice, bottom edge of slide is beveled but not as much as a Chuck Rogers or Bob Rodgers. Interesting the frame is "Remsport"- I have not heard of them.

Posts liked by others
    Congrats Joe! That is beautiful. Now I want one. Dang!!!
    ...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. (Luke 22:36)

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the congrats and good words.

I just came back from the action range. My shooting buddy and I set up 6 IDPA and/or USPSA targets as stages and run them, move them around and run them again. Then we set up what simulates a steel array and practice target transitions. All exercises are done as in competition, i.e., timed and from the draw with both IDPA and USPSA reloads. Usually all practice is done with appropriate IDPA concealment garment. This is a great way to check out the dynamic characteristics of a competition pistol. I can say that my Ron Phillips 1911 is a charmer. It ate Magtech 230s, and my reloads: Montana Gold 200 gr flat point over 5 grs of Titegroup, and 230 gr Hornady HAP over 4.9 grs of Titegroup. Magazines were Wilson 47D, and Nighthawk (ACT). I had one FTF, but before I blame the gun let me say that it was really a FPT, Failure to Press Trigger. I guess that would make it my fault.

Accuracy and target transitions were good, and hammers came off very well. Muzzle flip with 200 gr bullets was small so I actually had to raise up the gun in two to the body, one to the head drills at 7 yards.

I now have over 250 rounds thru the gun and it is filthy. The slide has become like silk, and now makes that high pitched metallic zing sound when moved back. A sound not dissimilar to steeling a blade.

How would I compare my Ron Phillips custom to my Nighthawks and Wilson? I really like those pistols, but Ron's gun seems to have an aura about it, perhaps it is the spirit of the master craftsman that surrounds the piece made by a single person; no chorus of makers with a blend of skills.
    Good people sleep peaceably at night with a Nighthawk GRP Recon at bedside.

Posts liked by others
    WOW.... what a beautiful pistol, a stunning work of art and it sounds like it functions better than it looks. I have only had the same reaction looking at one other 1911 and that was a Volkmann, I think it goes back to having only one pair of hands start and finish the pistol.

Posts liked by others
    Very nicely done.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    i just ordered the ron phillips at gunslingers. unbelieveable. i can't wait . it's on layaway but it'll be mine eventually.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast