Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Lyman Revolution Rotating Gun Vise

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Lyman Revolution Rotating Gun Vise

I have exchanged a few emails with Karen at Lyman's customer service over the past few weeks about a new product they have begun shipping.
    I got home from work last week and there was a new Lyman Revolution Rotating Gun Vise sitting on my porch.
    I unpacked the contents to see what this new vise is all about.

The assemble instructions were very straightforward. The vise was easy to assemble and though I was glad to have the directions it was simple enough to figure out just by a picture.

My Colt HBar AR15 gives me the most trouble when cleaning so that will be the rifle I use to test the vise with.
    The rifle fit securely in the Lyman vise.
    The vise's butt assemble holds the rifle stock by utilizing two adjustable, opposing knobs. As you adjust the knobs, the padded ends snug against rifle butt and hold it fast.
    The forearm body supports the rifle at the front and the forearm cover adjusts down easily also padded to prevent marring of the finish.

The vise can also rotate about 45 degrees either way to change the access angle. Back out the two spring loaded knobs of the butt assemble and forearm body. Grab the butt assemble and forearm body with both hands and rotate in the direction you desire.

The forearm rest can be adjusted to position an AR style rifle to access the breech.

For cleaning pistols and revolvers there is an insert to take up space in the forearm body.

My Ruger Redhawk mounted in place

The Lyman vise can also be adjusted to hold a Government Model or similar autoloader in place.

I used the Lyman vise to clean my Colt HBar and Ruger Redhawk and it did a it's job well, holding the firearm securely. The removable tray was handy for keep cleaning solvents, tools, and parts close at hand.
    With the ability to rotate the firearm is three positions you have more flexibility than static cleaning vises.
    It is light enough (about 7 1/2 pounds) so it is not a problem to disassemble and transport but the legs have holes pre drilled if you opt to mount the vise securely to a bench.
    It measures approximitaly 36" L x 7" W x 16" H.
    There are also slots on the mounting bases to keep your cleaning rod handy, this is a good idea especially for the cleaning rods that do not disassemble.
    There is more gun vises on the market now than you can shake a stick at and many of them work well.
    The problem I have seen with some is they double as a shooting rest, while this does add to the versatility of the tool it may compromise somewhat on both ends.
    When using a rest to shoot from I like a true bench rest and when using a gun vise I want it to be secure.
    I have a couple of the gun vises/rests in my closet I use from time to time but for cleaning and maintenance I believe I prefer Lyman's idea.
    I want to thank Karen at Lyman for giving me the chance to check out their new vise.
    If you have any questions about the Lyman gun vise please ask and I will do my best to get you the answer or point you in the right direction.

Posts liked by others
    A few more pictures to help illustrate the vise.

A close up of my Ruger Redhawk.

A close up of the Colt Combat Elite mounted

Link to Lymans site.
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/
    Last edited by Hunter; 2nd October 2008 at 18:32.

Posts liked by others
    Hunter: Another very well written review! I think that you summed it up when you stated:

"There is more gun vises on the market now than you can shake a stick at and many of them work well.
    The problem I have seen with some is they double as a shooting rest, while this does add to the versatility of the tool it may compromise somewhat on both ends.
    When using a rest to shoot from I like a true bench rest and when using a gun vise I want it to be secure.
    I have a couple of the gun vises/rests in my closet I use from time to time but for cleaning and maintenance I believe I prefer Lyman's idea."

Rich
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others
    Nice!!! It seems to be very versatile.
    I didn't know you had a Redhawk. My very first handgun looked like yours.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus
    Last edited by Joni Lynn; 2nd October 2008 at 19:36.

Posts liked by others
    Thank yall, I appreciate the kind words.
    The Redhawk pictures was my second handgun and she has been a good one.
    The Lyman vise actually worked pretty well for the revolver.

Posts liked by others
    Well written rweview, Hunter!
    'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.' ~Thomas Jefferson
    "We are the sheep dogs that protect the sheep and the sheep are afraid of the tools we use to fend off the wolves"..... Dave
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Thank you Uncle Dave.