Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SAM “GI” Owners- Answer up!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

SAM “GI” Owners- Answer up!

Allright- you guys with the SAM Commander variant, known as the “GI” model, distributed by Century International- I am looking seriously at one of these as the basic platform for a carry gun. Given the shortage of “real” 4.25 inch 1911’s, the exorbitant prices that dealers are asking for used ‘91A1’s (since the Colt “shortage”), and the excellent quality I am seeing in recent Philippine 1911’s- these guns are looking like a viable alternative for a build-up.

What I am looking for here is range reports, photos, and opinions from owners of these guns. I’d like some reliability & accuracy info if you can- all replies are appreciated.

Thank you in advance-

Posts liked by others
    I believe the Armscor made Rock Island Armory/Charles Daly/Armscor brands are a better choice. The SAM parts sometimes do not accept the popular aftermarket parts for the 1911 pistols. The barrels of some of my friends using SAM parts don't hold up too well.
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold

Posts liked by others
    The RIA/Armscor Commander-size pistols don't have a 4-1/4" barrel.

I've also been interested in the SAM pistols, but don't have any source. Can you steer me to a web site or a distributor?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    I can't find any info on who, if anybody, is importing these yet. Century is definitely done. Guess we will have to contact SAM direct and ask if they have arranged for future US import.

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon,
    The Armscor/RIA already have the 4 1/4" barrels. Probably the importers just doesn't have stock (keeps running out?).

This is the Philippine website:
    http://www.shootersarms.com.ph
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold

Posts liked by others
    go for it, sargeMO. I bought a basic 1911 SAM frame. Fitted it with premium parts, ed brown, CMC, wilson combat, john masen, etc. HAd it engraved colt, shoots well, no difference with other premium brands. I now owned a legendary 1911 at a lesser cost.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by valor1
    Hawkmoon,
    The Armscor/RIA already have the 4 1/4" barrels. Probably the importers just doesn't have stock (keeps running out?).

This is the Philippine website:
    http://www.shootersarms.com.ph
    Mixed metaphor, Mate. The site you linked to is the SAM web site, not Armscor. The Armscor/RIA/Charles Daly "Commanders" have 4" barrels, not 4-1/4". Many people don't care, but some us are looking for Commander-size guns with a true 4-1/4" barrel ... and there aren't many on the market.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hi SargeMO,

I'm from the Philippines and own one SAM 1911 Commander series. They shoot great, at 2.5" groups. They are distributed in the US by Century Arms, a dealer of Shooters Arms Manufacturing, where SAM is derived.

Posts liked by others
    Armscor is using 4inch barrels on thier .45 and 9mm variant, they termed it as M1911-A1 MS (medium size)their version of the colt commander. original colt commander is 4.25 inch....SAM COMMODORE not "GI" as previously mentioned is using 4.25 in. chambered in .45

Posts liked by others
    Hi Sarg,
    I purchased a new Charles Daly last fall for $385. It is the EFS Model. No break-in period was required as it was reliable right out of the box, far more so than the many Colts I have owned. Also, I usually fire tighter groups with it than my other 1911s including commercial Colts. I have tried installing various after market parts because of those who say it is not mil spec. All parts I have tried have dropped right in. Other than replacing the grips with pachmyers and having white dots drilled in the sights for $10, it is stock. You may want to replace the Meggar Magazines for serious business if yours turn out to be anything like mine. With eight rounds one of them occasionally refuses to locked back after the last round. Other times the last round is lying loose on the top of the magazine. Neither occurs with quality magazines or even old GI mags from before the Viet Nam era. I’ve had no problems but my buddy who is a leftie has had the right thumb safety fall off when firing. Never happened to me but I sent it back to the factory anyhow. The service rep was very courteous and helpful and said it would take six to eighth weeks. It came back in a little over three. The sear pin was replaced and there have been no farther problems. Just my experience but it has been singularly outstanding. Hope this helps.

Bill

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast