Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Model 27-2...

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Arrow S&W Model 27-2...

I had a bit of serendipitous fortune yesterday and discovered an almost like NIB and pristine Smith & Wesson Model 27-2 revolver at my local gunstore. This one is fairly well a "sister" to mine... just the barrels are different lengths. The newly found one is 8 3/8" and mine is 6 1/2". She also comes with the original wood display case and while I didn't see it out with the revolver, it ought to look something like this photo... except for the barrel length-

Sorry... I didn't catch a photo of the store's offering... but she sure looks unfired... and if there's a cylinder ring, you'll need a magnifying glass to find it. Cylinder lockup seems as tight as Colt's vaunted Python... and also with a target hammer and target trigger.

My eyes are telling me the bluing isn't quite as radiant or lustrous as mine... but it's still nicely done.

They're asking $850 for this beautiful S&W revolver... so, can any of our S&W aficionados offer an opinion here?

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope".

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others

Icon17 Hog Leg

Congratulations on your new hog leg. You know we want pictures!
    "shoot him again,he's still squirmin'"

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by pistola
    Congratulations on your new hog leg. You know we want pictures!
    My apology, Pistola... no, I haven't bought the "hog leg" revolver yet.

I was wondering about the price... although I'll admit it sounds about right to me.

She is calling my name, however...

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope".

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others
    I am no S&W expert but have owned a fair number of 27s and other S&Ws.

If it has case, tools, and so on, it might be worth it. If it were unfired, it's a good deal.

The 8 3/8" 27 is the least desireable of the 27s. Therefore it is the slowest to move and the least valueable. With the economy slow, you might have a problem getting out from under it should you need. My last 8 3/8" was a very nice shooter quality (~95%). I believe I gave ~$450 for it (no box/papers/etc) and traded it later for about the same value.

I only have one 27 left. It's a shooter quality 3 1/2" gun that is fun to shoot.

The folks on the S&W forum can give you a better idea on value.

Dave
    Last edited by Airedale; 9th September 2008 at 12:18.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, Dave... I appreciate the information given.

I didn't realize this long barrel version of the Model 27 was further down on the desirability scale than the shorter barrel variants. That selling price is much higher than I paid for my 6.5" 27-2 that's shown in the photo above... and I bought it at the same gunstore about two years ago.

Perhaps one has just gotta want a "hog leg" badly to go for one of this barrel length... and I'll admit seeing such could be a bit "unhandy" in a quick situation.

Hmmm... there's a really primo like "old stock" NIB 6" Model 19 complete with factory box that I'm looking at also... located at a different dealer and about $300 less expensive...

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others

Red face Hog Leg

Quote Originally Posted by cliff731
    My apology, Pistola... no, I haven't bought the "hog leg" revolver yet.

I was wondering about the price... although I'll admit it sounds about right to me.

She is calling my name, however...
    Sorry cliff731, I guess I didn't read your post below the photo of the six and a half inch. I get shook up by those nice N frames . As for the price, it seems too high for a three screw,but that may not be true in the near future. Besides how often do you see one NIB with the pesentation case.
    Good luck with your decision.
    "shoot him again,he's still squirmin'"

Posts liked by others
    If I were looking for a 27-2, I'd prefer one with an S serial number prefix and the older stock style with the diamond in the center, but not all S prefix guns have those.
    That's probably top dollar for that S&W, but if you want it then it's probably okay so long as you don't intend to sell very soon and recover the price.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, Joni Lynn and Pistola... I appreciate your expert advice on this S&W revolver. If I were to buy said Model 27 "hog leg", it would surely be a keeper! I can imagine that in a couple of years, or less, that selling price might seem to be a relative bargain.

It deserves another look... possibly tomorrow! (my local gunstore closes in 7 minutes...)

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others
    Wow that looks great Cliff. I think you should buy it so you can post a pic in the revolver thread.
    Last edited by d90king; 9th September 2008 at 18:16.

Posts liked by others
    Hopefully the barrel was cleaned at some point since it left the S&W nest.
    S&W doesn't clean them after test firing and if not cleaned they can get rusty after a few years. Ditto for the internals and the grip frame under the wood.
    Lynnie, "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal. "
    - Albert Camus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast