Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Happy Easter
to all those who celebrate it.

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Stoeger Cougar

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

Stoeger Cougar

The husband of a friend of mine at work came across a deal on a 9mm Stoeger Cougar, so she asked me what I knew about these pistols and make any recommendations. Up until then, I never even heard of Stoeger. I knew the Cougar was a line of pistols made by Beretta, but I didn't know if this Stoeger was a "knock-off" or something entirely different.

So if anyone can shed some light on these Stoeger Cougars for me (and, ultimately my friend's husband) I'd appreciate it.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Tom,

It's a good one... I'm thinking of buying one myself... read on...

The Stoeger Cougar is the same as the Beretta Cougar... not a knockoff or copy. Beretta owns Stoeger... part of the family of brands that includes Benelli, Franchi, Uberti and of course, Stoeger.

When the Beretta Cougar was discontinued a short few years ago, production resumed in Turkey with the Stoeger name rollstamped... and a reduction in price... same tooling, all that was shipped to Turkey... same everything... and the guys and gals over on the Beretta Forum who have these cannot find material differences in the two. The Cougar fans there are a very dedicated bunch and quite vocal in their praise and admiration for these cat named pistols... almost a cult type following.

Albeit, the Beretta Cougar was offered in a more extensive line... and finishes... sizes. The Stoeger pistol is offered only in 9mm and .40 S&W. I believe Beretta made this in other calibers.The Stoeger Cougar is essentially the former "vanilla" version of Beretta's same pistol... and only in a black Bruniton finish, which is an applied epoxy based high temperature cured coating.

There's some good deals on these... and yes, the MSRP has risen some since first introduced by Stoeger... but it was much less expensive than what the Beretta Cougars listed for. However, the Cougar has a reputation as a solid shooter with low recoil due to the rotating barrel design... which in turn can attribute to accuracy for some shooters.

My local gunstore has one of each, 9mm and .40 S&W, both NIB, and if I can talk 'em down on their price just a tad, I've given consideration to buying one... possibly the 9mm. Actually, I'm undecided here... might want the .40 S&W as I have a Beretta 96 too. I am intrigued by the rotating barrel... and the low recoil... and the reliability I've read of.

Regarding your friend's "deal"... I hope the price is good... as these pistols were selling for about $300 when Stoeger first re-introduced the Cougar line... but as mentioned above, prices for new ones have risen and IIRC, good deals on NIB can be found for about $400 now if one searches.

This too... Stoeger has been around for quite awhile... years. I almost bought one of their pistol offerings in the early 1980's... and they market an extensive line of shotguns too, in addition to a firearms related publishing side of their business. I cannot recall the name of the Turkish firearms manufacturer that is making these Stoeger Cougars... but I can get that info if you desire it.

Cliff

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope".

- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cliff731
    When the Beretta Cougar was discontinued a short few years ago, production resumed in Turkey with the Stoeger name rollstamped... and a reduction in price... same tooling, all that was shipped to Turkey... same everything...
    So in otherwords, not entirely unllike Taurus moving into Beretta's plant in Brazil and taking over operations and making the M92 clones. Okay, that helps some.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    The husband of a friend of mine at work came across a deal on a 9mm Stoeger Cougar, so she asked me what I knew about these pistols and make any recommendations. Up until then, I never even heard of Stoeger. I knew the Cougar was a line of pistols made by Beretta, but I didn't know if this Stoeger was a "knock-off" or something entirely different.

So if anyone can shed some light on these Stoeger Cougars for me (and, ultimately my friend's husband) I'd appreciate it.
    Cliff pretty much covered almost all of it. There are subtle differences between the 9mm and .40S&W versions of the Stoeger 8000 (Cougar). The 9mm version has a beveled slide and the barrel has been lightened as well to reduce some of the weight. Regardless, the accuracy and recoil management of these pistols are excellent. The Cougar was originally designed to handle 9mm, .40S&W, .357Sig, and .45ACP. As mentioned, Stoeger only makes the 9 and 40.

"I've got a mind like a steel trap, things wander in... and get mangled"
    --Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526
    Administrator
    "I've confused my intentions with my abilities"

So in otherwords, not entirely unllike Taurus moving into Beretta's plant in Brazil and taking over operations and making the M92 clones. Okay, that helps some.
    Tom,

Sort of... but not exactly. Beretta owns Stoeger... and of course, has never had any interest holdings in Taurus. I believe this was simply more a case of moving production of the Cougar out of Italy via shipping the tooling and machines to Turkey, and resuming a simplified product line... but to be sold under the Stoeger name... and that perhaps more a marketing decision.

The Beretta Cougars seem to be as popular as ever with the "cat" loving crowd of Cougarphiles... and apparently there's other folks joining the ranks. Why Beretta would discontinue such a fine design from their lineup to reintroduce it as a less expensive Stoeger firearm... well, the answer might be in their hopes for the newer polymer framed PX4 line.

Ber1526 knows more about these Cougars than I'll ever learn... and certainly he's given some good info about the specific changes to the Stoeger offerings. I will remain very tempted to buy one in 9mm just to try it out and see for myself if all the great accolades I've read are true. That might just convince me to look for one of the Beretta offerings in .45 ACP!

Cliff

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope".

- Sir Winston Churchill

Well, I thank you all, gentlemen. I'll pass along your responses. Now I'm curious about these little guns, too.

I'm trying to find out the particulars on this gun for sale. I don't know if this is in a reputable gun shop or being sold by a friend, etc. So being the ever optimist, let's assume this gun is a piece of junk and doesn't work. What avenues of support does Stoeger have here in the U.S.?

I p/u a LNIB Beretta Cougar in 45acp a year ago and its a really nifty gun. the rotating barrel/lockup is interesting and was one of the reasons for getting it. the price was the second since it was really too good to pass up.

after i got the 45, i saw one of our LGS had the Stoeger Cougar in 9 and i also got one of those too since they lowered their prices on them to almost the same as i got my 45. i find that they are almost identical in fit/finish and quality.

the one thing i think is interesting is that the grip is sort of chubby for the gun and one would think they could shave off some width.
    It is the very difficult horses that have the most to give you.

-Lendon Gray

Is this the same gun you are referring to? I was very interested in them after reading the article in G&A over a year ago, but have never seen one for sale around here.
    "Mr. Anderson"

"...gun control is always a scheme of the powerful to deprive the powerless of the right to self-defense. " - Ann Coulter

...So being the ever optimist, let's assume this gun is a piece of junk and doesn't work. What avenues of support does Stoeger have here in the U.S.?
    Tom,

I'm going to guess that all service support for this Cougar is handled thru Beretta's Accokeek facility in Maryland... I'll check on that and post what I find.

Cliff

- Sir Winston Churchill