Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: smallest 1911 style gun for carry???

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

smallest 1911 style gun for carry???

Anyone have a suggestion on a really small 1911 style pistol for carry? I really don't feel confortable with holsters so I want something that I can keep in my pocket, what most people would consider a summer gun. I was considering a Walther PPK or a Ruger LCP (if I could find one), both would be perfect for my requirements, but I would like to consider anything in a 1911 format that would be similar. Kimber's Ultra Aegis II™ 9 mm seems to be the best I have found so far, but it is still a little big. I really want to put it in my pocket.

I understand the pitfalls of a .38 for self defense but it only works if it is with you, so that is not a concern for me.
    "Actions speaks louder than words but not nearly as often" - Mark Twain

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Posts liked by others
    The smallest 1911-type pistols are the Springfield EMP, which is available only in 9mm, and the Para-Ordnance Carry GAP (in .45 GAP) and PDA (in 9mm). All three are slightly smaller than Kimber's Ultra Aegis II ... but not a lot smaller. I don't consider any of them to be a "pocket" pistol, although being LDAs the two Paras at least don't have an extended hammer spur to snag your pocket if that's where you choose to carry. The Springfield EMP is a traditional single action with a hammer spur.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 5th August 2008 at 23:00.

Posts liked by others
    If you desire a Gun that would be easily carried in light weight trouser pockets. The only one mentioned would be the LCP. In small guns, I have a PPK/S, an EMP, a Colt Agent, a Detective Special, as well as an LCP. The LCP is the only one that is a true easy to carry pocket gun. Be it shorts, light summer slacks or a suit. The others I mentioned require that I wear jeans in order to pocket carry. I carry the LCP 24/7 as a BUG in my front pocket. My main carry gun, is holstered on my hip, or in the back pocket of my jeans.

Rich
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D
    Last edited by Rich-D; 5th August 2008 at 23:59.

Posts liked by others
    Personally, I wouldn't choose a 1911 for pocket carry. To my mind, a 1911 is best carried in condition 1 (round in the chamber, cocked and safety engaged). That works out just fine in a holster, but I don't think it's the best idea of pocket carry.

I like a hammerless S&W J frame (a 442, 642 or 640) for pocket carry. The LCP Rich mentioned also looks promising. Or I'd be tempted to try the small Kahr 9mm. There are some other small auto-loaders that would also be suitable.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Though I also agree the "1911" pattern pistol is best carried in Condition 1 which is not a great idea in a pocket I have carried a Colt New Agent in my front pocket (in Condition 3).
    It was not really the ideal carry but it did work.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Though I also agree the "1911" pattern pistol is best carried in Condition 1 which is not a great idea in a pocket I have carried a Colt New Agent in my front pocket (in Condition 3).
    I agree it will work my friend, but aren't you kinda up a tree if you need your gun and don't have the use of both hands?

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    I find the back pocket suitable for condition 1. I normally carry in a belt holster, however when walking to a neighborhood store or answering my door, I slip my 1911 in my back pocket. The stock and the hammer are not covered by material, as in the front pocket. I wear my shirts out, so the gun is not exposed.

Rich
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others
    The Para LDA pistols have a safety, but there is no exposed hammer spur (it's bobbed flush to the back of the slide) and a long trigger pull, so IMHO they can be safely carried in a pocket in Condition 1. The issue for me is that even the two smallest are significantly larger than a Colt Pony .380, which is about the biggest chunk of metal I consider to be suitable for pocket carry.
    Hawkmoon

Posts liked by others
    The smallest 1911 style pistol is a C&S Adventurer.

ranburr

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ranburr
    The smallest 1911 style pistol is a C&S Adventurer.

ranburr
    I don't think so. The Adventurer is a 9mm built on a standard Caspian frame. The two Para-Ordnance pistols I mentioned are both built on Para's shortened frame, which is essentially the same size as the Springfield EMP. All those pistols have taken a vertical slice out of the standard 1911 receiver, reducing the fore-to-aft dimension through the grip and magazine well. In addition, because they are LDAs with no hammer spur, they also have no beavertail. The length is only 6.4" and the height is 4.75". I doubt the Adventurer is smaller than that. I don't think it's physically possible.
    Hawkmoon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast