Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Dot Powder Warning

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others
    BD is the only powder I have used that scared me. Absolutely erratic and unpredictable.

I last used it some 20 years ago and I won't be buying any in the future.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapping Twig
    BD is the only powder I have used that scared me. Absolutely erratic and unpredictable.

I last used it some 20 years ago and I won't be buying any in the future.
    Oh great. I have hundreds of loads built with Blue Dot. Some 10-15 years old. Never had a problem...yet.
    Think I'll shoot them in my Security Six rather than my Smiths.
    ***Honesty is the Foundation to One's Character***

Posts liked by others
    BD is good for 1 oz 20 ga (shotgun) field loads, in case you need that.
    Do you have one of those hammer things used to safely disassemble ammunition?

Posts liked by others
    I used Blue Dot a minimum levels for 9mm handloads. Due to the amount of powder in the cases (vs Bullseye or WW231 which is a faster burning powder) the 9mm Blue Dot loads had a louder than normal concussion when fired.

Posts liked by others

Smile

If any of you guys have loaded ammo that you wish to get rid of just send it to me. I'll be happy to run them through my Hornady puller and yank the bullets and powder and leave the .357 cases primed alone, trash the BD and come out just fine.

Posts liked by others
    You're very kind to offer.
    But, why trash the BlueDot? Can't you reuse it using good reload data?
    Those bullets can be recycled as lead.
    Rich - Gold Match II | Pro Carry HD II Super .38
    Grips by www.esmeralda.cc
    Ue wo muite arukou.
    GOA Member 23369715
    NRA Member 164774731

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Lab
    I called Alliant about my Blue Dot loads in 357 and 41 magnum.
    I spoke with one of their engineers. I told him I had bunch of stuff loaded up in both calibers that was about ten years old. He seemed to be more interested in the 41 magnum. He requested I send him a sample of the loads and he would pressure test them for me. He asked me to include my name, telephone number and address, which I did. He would send results of the testing to me. This was about 4 or 5 months ago. Have not heard squat from him. Real good service.
    I called them back. They tested my loads all from their book. Too hot, pressure very high they said do not use, destroy that canister of Blue Dot . They took my loads apart every thing I did was proper. If I remember they were loaded 1/2 to a full grain under maximum
    This was with my 41 magnum loads. I did have some loaded with the 125's in 357 magnum. Destroyed the Blue Dot, will never use it again.
    NRA Benefactor

Posts liked by others
    Rich, I guess using the word "trash" was incorrect. I rarely trash anything.
    I'm using B/Dot for a .45 ACP load right now. I just stay away from max loadings in it.

Posts liked by others
    I just recently started reloading again and reloaded 200 rds of 41 mag with blue dot and just happened to see a post on another site that warned against BD. I, too, called them and was advised to pull the bullets and dump the powder. that was more fun than can be imagined.
    LM:NRA,GOA,MOAA.
    US Army Retired.

Posts liked by others
    I'm coming in late here but thought I'd add my experience. I've fired thousands of rounds of .44 Magnum, 250gr Sierra FPJ, 16.5gr Blue Dot, through a 10.5" S&W M-29 Silhouette without a problem. Seemed like a good, accurate load, and I was shooting it out to 200 meters in IHMSA. I tried a few .357 loads with that Blue Dot as well, including some 125gr, and never had a problem but my experience with Blue Dot in .357 was just a few hundred rounds.
    "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
    Likes (1) :
    kansas45 (29th December 2016)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12