Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Need help on loading 185 gr. Berry's plated SWC

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Need help on loading 185 gr. Berry's plated SWC

I just loaded 50 rounds for my .45 SA loaded with 4.5 grs. Bullseye and 185 gr. Berry's plated SWC.

Everything went fine until I seated the bullets. The OAL is perfect. 1.250. Hooever, I'm not too sure this is correct for these bullets.

When I load my other LSWC, I have only about 1/32 in. of lead from the brass top to the top of the shoulder. The bullet top portion is shorter than a regular SWC.

This bullet is about .050 higher at that point, although the OAL is correct.

I know they will feed ok in the mag, but will I have FTF into the chamber, etc???

My question is should I shoot these as is, or should I seat .050 deeper? I don't want to do this until I can get some feedback from you guys first. I don't want to cause the chamber pressure to spike too high.

Any suggestions/comments?

Thanks,

Roy

Posts liked by others
    I bought some of those same bullets. I called Berry and they recommended an OAL of 1.250".

I haven't loaded any yet so I don't know how the shoulder looks in reference to the case but it's a good place to start.

Jerry

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by br6ppc
    This bullet is about .050 higher at that point, although the OAL is correct.
    About 1/32 plus about 0.050 equals about 0.081 inch of shoulder reveal.

For a SWC where the body breaks abruptly (with no radius) into the nose, about 0.081 is (about) waaaaay too much shoulder reveal.

However, IF the profile of this bullet is such that the body (the 0.451" OD portion) transitions into the nose with a short section having an ogive similar to a ball round - and then breaks into the SWC-looking portion - it might be OK.

Test your round by dropping it into the barrel when the barrel's out of the gun and see if it goes in all the way. If it does and the round doesn't get stuck when you push hard on the case head, it's not loaded too long.

Also, compare a Berry's round with a factory JRN round by eyeballing or measuring the distance from the barrel hood to the case head.

If the Berry's round is loaded too long it's case head may extend aft of the hood. Not good!

Cheers

Posts liked by others

I agree Niemi

Quote Originally Posted by niemi24s
    About 1/32 plus about 0.050 equals about 0.081 inch of shoulder reveal.

For a SWC where the body breaks abruptly (with no radius) into the nose, about 0.081 is (about) waaaaay too much shoulder reveal.

However, IF the profile of this bullet is such that the body (the 0.451" OD portion) transitions into the nose with a short section having an ogive similar to a ball round - and then breaks into the SWC-looking portion - it might be OK.

Test your round by dropping it into the barrel when the barrel's out of the gun and see if it goes in all the way. If it does and the round doesn't get stuck when you push hard on the case head, it's not loaded too long.

Also, compare a Berry's round with a factory JRN round by eyeballing or measuring the distance from the barrel hood to the case head. If the Berry's round is loaded too long it's case head may extend aft of the hood. Not good! Cheers
    The body has a vey short transition into the nose section. The nose is very short compared to my Alliant & Missouri LSWC.

I'm taking the SA apart tomorrow to replace the grip bushings, so this will be the perfect time to test the rounds in the chamber.

I'll let you guys know what I found.

Thanks.

Roy

Posts liked by others

I checked the rounds today

Everything is ok. I tried some known rounds first. OK.
    Next, I dropped in some sized brass. OK.

I looked at each piece and checked where it was in relation to the hood and to the others. Then I dropped in the rounds with the Berry's plated SWC. Just like the others. OK.

I even used a light to look down the barrel while pushing the rounds into the chamber. As the movie says, "Everything is illuminated".

Thanks for the info.

Roy