Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: SAM (Shooters Arms Mfg) RAVEN

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Thumbs up SAM (Shooters Arms Mfg) RAVEN

I read an old thread regarding Shooters Arms Mfg. (SAM) 1911 pistols. "http://www.shootersarms.com.ph"

There it asked if it was part of Armscor Philippines.
    There is also a note calling them "2nd class Guns".

I believe that Sam and Armscore are not related.

As for 2nd class, i cant tell about it as i am not a gun guru.
    but i do know that compared to others, they are cheaper(sometimes very much cheaper).

i have my own SAM product. a RAVEN .45 hicap pistol. it uses 13 round .45 meggar magazines. Fixed sights(on dovetails) no luminous dots and of average size.Having decided prematurely that i wanted a .45, when i went to their store, i just choose the one that feels comfortable in my relatively small hands.Their other models feel like they wanted to droop forward and the classic 1911 feels too flat and wide for me.

Having fired only a full mag out of it, we then used it for the familiarization firing of Criminology students. A whole batch of students used it one by one on a 3 position, 3 target, 18 shot course with 2 reloads(7+6+5). Mulfunction occured around shots 300 and 600, both because the student was weakhandling it and activating the safety when going back from recoil. Around the 700th it started to falter after every 8th or so shots. We stopped and i cleaned it for the very first time. we were using round lead combat reloads.

After cleaning, we never had a mulfunction again until we finished the course(another 100 or so rounds more) where i cleaned it again before putting it away.

Personally, i only get a mulfunction if i hold it incorrectly and activate the safety upon returning from recoil, even though i regularly feed it hollowpoints.
    ive polished the ramp though, because when i slowly load it with hollows, it sometimes bind. upon polishing, i can load it slowly without any problem.

As for Perfomance, on Dec. 2006, i won 2nd place in our club-shoot with the very same and still "stock" SAM RAVEN, outdoing modified and expensive pistols on an IDPA style competition.

I have not fired it on a target farther than 30 meters as our local range was not that big, but at that distance i still manage to hit the 8 inch plates consistently. I have yet to see it do a clover though, as im not that good yet.

I have not tried other SAM products so i cannot vouch for them, but my RAVEN have me very much satisfied.
    Last edited by Wallen; 2nd June 2008 at 09:08.

Posts liked by others
    800 rounds in one session?...that's almost a torture test. Looks like your SAM Raven took it quite well. The malfunctions are expected in the prolonged shooting you mentioned...aggravated perhaps by the number of different users. I have friends who own SAM pistols and they are satisfied with the performance.

Posts liked by others
    Wallen
    Welcome to the forum and thank you for the range report.You can read about $3,000 guns on this forum that dont perform as well!
    Tac

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for the welcome...

Sir San Jose,

Its just approximation. they brought 8 100round box and i had 4 100round box. 10 was empty when we came back. there were 2 guns but the second one was used only when i was cleaning mine.
    This happened in Pili. I'm not familiar with the place, but i remember passing by a Farming Tractor set up as a monument and the range was actually a dug-out at the back of a school(stage?). We started around 9am and ended well into the afternoon. We were using 3 magazines, two of which (stainless)is not mine. There was plenty of time between rounds that i was not worried of over heating the gun.

We did not use the (single) Factory Magazine bundled with the SAM as it was a bit too long and wobbly when inserted. I have no problem with it though when i use it,but i find one of its lips is touching the bottom-inside of the slide that it has made scratches on it already.

After a year of use, the bottom-inside of the slide was marked with the hammer chattering. An old timer suggested using stronger recoil spring to Slow down the slide, which i did with a shock buff and also rounded the part of the hammer that touches the slide. i polished the chatermarks with a small grinder and it seems to hold up now. i also made a notch in the middle of the hammer that touches the bottom of the slide, so "if" it does make more chatter marks, it will not affect the interruptor which touches the center part.

Sir Tac,
    Thanks for the welcome. So ive read, and heard and seen some :-)

I guess sometimes we get lucky.
    Last edited by Wallen; 3rd June 2008 at 03:07.