Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, Blue Ridge Firerarms or Field Supply, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 1911 Pistol The Best 1911 .22lr Conversion In The Current Market

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

Best 1911 Pistol The Best 1911 .22lr Conversion In The Current Market

Hello every one, this is my first post.

My favoritepestolo is the 1911 platform, however, my favorite caliber for hunting and plinking is the .22LR.

I am looking for a reliable, 1911 pistol and a reliable 1911.22lr conversion, for my purpose reliability is first, second is accuracy and then that the brand of the conversion is the same as the pistol brand.

I had looked at the Kimber Custom II + Kimber rimfire conversion, I heard that Kimber conversions are not very reliable and hard to fit, and that kimber pistols are not well made compared as other brands, I had neve tried any Kimber, only Colt series 70 with colt original conversion, and got tired of the floating chamber always lead up and had to clean it every 100 rounds.

the other ones that I looked at, is the STI Legacy and Trojan + STI .22LR conversion ( Made by Marvel ).

I saw the Wilson Combat CQB + Wilson Combat Conversion but the pistol price is high.

On the other hand also I will like to buy a .22LR target pistol and is hard to decide between the Beretta 87T vs. Ruger Mark III Vs. Browning Buckmark "Contour"

Please tell me your good and bad experiences and give me your best advice regarding which 1911 pistol and conversion to buy and which .22lr pistol to buy for target shooting

My best regards & thanks to all of you in advance

If you want the most accurate .22 and money is no object, then Marvel is the best... hands down. For the base 1911, it depends how much you want to spend. For under $1,000, I'd go with Dan Wesson (own a PM7); for $1,000 - $2,000, I'd go with Fusion (never owned a 1911 in this price range, but I like what I see and hear about them); for over $2,000, I'd get a custom gun made by EGW (have had work done by them).
    -May the forCZe be with you.

Thankyou CZJedi.

what I whant to have is the platform pistol and the conversion with the same brand, so far I have 3 options.

1.- Kimber Custom II with a Kimber rimfire conversion.
    2.- Wilson Combat CQB with the Wilson rimfire conversion
    3.- STI Trojan or Legacy with the new STI rimfire conversion made by Marvel

I got tired of the colt original steel conversion, those floating chambers are a mess, you need to clean them every 100 rounds if not it will easly lead up.

my question is from the 3 optins that I have in mind which one will you go for. which of the 3 conbination above will give me less reliability problems both the frame and the conversion.

what I donīt like about the wilson is the high price twice as the price of the Kimber custom II, regarding the Kimber I had heard some good and some bad background.
    but if I whant to have a platfor and a conversion made by the same brand this are the only 3 option that I know, so which of this option will be the best at your experience.

Thankyou again and have my best regards

The most important thing that I am considering is reliability on the conversion and frame, that is in first place

Quote Originally Posted by Winchester73
    Thankyou CZJedi.

what I whant to have is the platform pistol and the conversion with the same brand, so far I have 3 options.

1.- Kimber Custom II with a Kimber rimfire conversion.
    2.- Wilson Combat CQB with the Wilson rimfire conversion
    3.- STI Trojan or Legacy with the new STI rimfire conversion made by Marvel

I got tired of the colt original steel conversion, those floating chambers are a mess, you need to clean them every 100 rounds if not it will easly lead up.

my question is from the 3 optins that I have in mind which one will you go for. which of the 3 conbination above will give me less reliability problems both the frame and the conversion.

what I donīt like about the wilson is the high price twice as the price of the Kimber custom II, regarding the Kimber I had heard some good and some bad background.
    but if I whant to have a platfor and a conversion made by the same brand this are the only 3 option that I know, so which of this option will be the best at your experience.

Thankyou again and have my best regards
    Of the three you mentioned, I'd go with the STI Trojan and the STI conversion. You'd have an affordable, quality gun and a "target grade" .22 plinker. (Isn't it an Advantage Arms Target model tweaked by Mr. Marvel himself?)

If you'd do a "search" you should find many threads on the kits you're interested in.
    You can't control what people say, think, or do. You can only control how you react to them.

The most important thing that I am considering is reliability on the conversion and frame, that is in first place
    If that is most important, than I would not worry about what name is on the side of the conversion unit. Besides, with the exception of the Kimber (unless you get an older Kimber conversion kit, which use to be made by Ciener), nobody else makes their own conversions. STI is made by Marvel and Wilson is made by Ciener.

So if you must have a setup made only by one company, Kimber is your only choice, and IMHO, not a great one. If it can be made by two companies as long as only one name is on the side, then decide you have to decide... Wilson's base 1911 is bettter, but STI's conversion is better. If you really want the best, though, forget about a matching name on the side and get the best 1911 you can afford and the Marvel conversion. Besides, the Marvel conversion does not need any gunsmithing or fitting like some other conversion unit. It uses a front screw (where the recoil spring plug would be) to clamp the top end down.

The matching names might make you happy while looking at them in your safe, but when looking at a target at the range, you will wish you had "brand x" with the Marvel kit.
    -May the forCZe be with you.

Your qualifications are almost mutually exclusive. The best conversion unit, without a doubt, is the Marvel Unit 1. It may, or may not, also be the most reliable. I've had 2 and they have both been totally reliable. A Wilson CQB is the best frame platform you listed, but the conversion units are no more or less reliable than the Marvels and certainly less accurate. I would rate the Kimber and STI frames etc as closely the same qualility, but again, the conversion units are going to be a far second to the Marvel unit. Having the same named frame and conversion unit would never be a consideration of mine. Buying the best base gun and the best conversion unit would be my main concern.
    Last edited by gpo1956; 31st May 2008 at 11:35.

No doubt the Marvel 1 is the most accurate. However you said hunting/plinking.

I've got the Kimber (the current one made by Kimber) and I have had no issues with it. It does like/require HV ammo. People complain that it doesn't run well unless it has been cleaned after every couple hundred rounds but I've put close to 1000 rounds of CCI HV Mini Mag through it without cleaning and experienced no failures of any kind. Kimber builds things on the tight side and some say to assemble and hand cycle 500 times before shooting. I didn't, I just went shooting. I found the standard velocity didn't run well in it but the CCI's HV worked great. Remington Thunderbolts are a close and cheaper second but rather dirty.

As for the platform, I've got 4 Kimbers and my son has 1. We have never had a problem with any of them. I've got about 5000 round through the conversion running it on any given day on a Pro Carry II, Custom II, Pro Elite and a Custom.

The guns themselves have between 800 & 4000 rounds each through them.

Dave

Blog Entries
    On the other hand also I will like to buy a .22LR target pistol and is hard to decide between the Beretta 87T vs. Ruger Mark III Vs. Browning Buckmark "Contour"
    On .22LR target pistols:

Two I would recommend, the Walther GSP and the Hammerli 280. These two pistols have move wolrd medals under their trigger, than any other pistol in that caliber.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org

What's the reason for your criterion that the pistol and the conversion be the same brand? The reason I ask is that, in fact, there is only one company (AFAIK) that actually manufactures their own pistols and the conversion kits that go with them. That would be Kimber. STI's conversions are made for them by a subcontractor. I believe Wilson Combat's conversions are also made for them by a subcontractor. That's okay if all you're concerned about is having the same name on the kit as on the gun, but if there's some other reason why you want the gun and the conversion to be the same make -- Kimber is really the only game in town.

Have you considered skipping the conversion and just buying a Kimber Rimfire?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 14th June 2008 at 20:45.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast