Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, Blue Ridge Firerarms or Field Supply, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Where can I buy a nickel plated slide stop for Colt Series 70 45 ACP?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

Where can I buy a nickel plated slide stop for Colt Series 70 45 ACP?

The nickel plating has flaked off the serrations on the original slide stop on my Colt Series 70 and I trying to locate a replacement. Would it be easier to have it refinished? I am afraid of the conditino of the metal under the nickel though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please email me at mtice1@new.rr.com with suggestions. Thanks

Hi

I suspect you will have more luck sending it out to get re-plated.

If you can tolerate the color difference, a stainless steel slide stop should be fairly easy to find. I don't think there is anything strange about the one for the Series 70. Any good quality 1911 part should work.

Bob

Yea, find someone who can put a good buff job on a stainless one and it'll be a pretty close match. Make sure to buy one that's made of real steel like Wilson's most money one or the one from EGW.

If it is electroless nickel, I think I saw that Brownells sells a kit for applying electroless nickel yourself. If not Brownells (or if not electroless), there are companies that sell small kits for do-it-yourself plating. Texas Platers I think is one of the companies, and there's another large company you can easily find through Google.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

I would try Brownells or Kings Gun Works.

A company named Caswell sells the kits that are sold by many retailers. It's very easy to do and can save you a bunch. You can even make a few bucks plating small parts for friens. Surface prep is the key and with electroless it needs no power, there's no toxic fumes and it's basically a bath just under the boiling point.

If you only have the one part and never will plate anything else I agree that stainless can be buffed to a great shine and will never chip.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of liberty must undergo the fatigues of supporting it."
    - Thomas Paine