Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, Blue Ridge Firerarms or Field Supply, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Barrel bushing vs. Bull barrel

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

Barrel bushing vs. Bull barrel

I'm pretty much new to 1911s (i'm a rifle guy), but am wanting to buy one. What are the pros and cons of barrel bushing and bull barrels?

Hmmm...

You don't have to worry about removing a bushing if you get a bull barrel. Supposedly, and this is just supposedly...Some say a bull barrel is a bit more accurate because of the extra metal. Has something to do with harmonic flexing every time a bullet is propelled down the barrel. Who really knows? I don't think there is a noticeable difference in accuracy. You're better off asking someone who ownes both types of pistols. Hope I helped you out a little bit.
    Last edited by Greyswindir; 11th April 2008 at 03:03.

Both can be made into tack drivers. Bull's are usually heavy and somewhat help with felt recoil.

I prefer the bushing, for a few reasons:

I work in LE and dont make alot of extra $ to drop on high dollar replacement parts, and having to replace a complete slide over just a bushing would not be something my wife would be happy about.

It is lighter...and as a carry piece that is something I look at.

Preference usually wins out with things like this...whats your preference? What do YOU want? With the 1911 platform...it is like an empty canvas or a lump of clay to the artist...you can do just about anything you can imagine to one...making it your own is part of the fun!

I've fired a 5" bull barrel before, and it seemed to have less muzzle flip than a standard 5". Which makes sense, because there's more mass at the end of the barrel, so it takes more torque to rotate it (like when you spin in a chair and stick your arms out, then bring them back in).
    Another big difference is 5" bull barrels are illegal in IDPA (and USPSA, I think).

Pros of bull barrel -

There's more metal involved which lessens barrel flexing, also reduces the rate at which it heats up and is less effected by longer periods of shooting. This is said to aid consistent accuracy.

Cons of bull barrel - It's heavier, but who cares about weight.

Most of the compact 1911's are using a bull barrel, quite often a ramped bull barrel. Is there something in particular about thefunction of the short barrel and slide that makes the bull barrel necessary or do the manufacturer's use the bull barrel just to help hold the muzzle down?

I have had two Nighthawks. One with the bushing and one with the bull. I like the bushing for ease of take down, and the classic look. I was no more accurate with the bull barrel than I am with the bushing. Just my .02.
    ~BoS
    "Who Dares Wins" - SAS

The down side to a bull is if you dont have a tight fit there is nothing you can do about it. With a bushing you can tighten things up a bit.

Great point.