Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Ok, another Colt ? re: value and age

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Ok, another Colt ? re: value and age

Found a Colt 5" in black, Series 80 with a serial number of 27926**.

Couple of questions, when was this made, approximately? What kind of finish does Colt use, and does this finish hold up better than the regular blueing? And, is $699 a decent price? It was in good shape and came w/ only 1 mag but it did have the original box and papers.

Again thanks to all who are helpng me with info.

Posts liked by others
    Sounds to me like a 90's vintage M1991A1. A call to Colt would be in order for an accurate DOB.

Posts liked by others
    I think you might be right... I forgot about the serial number extension from the 'A1's to the 1991A1's.
    Eli

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by elijdub
    My best guess is 1946-47... I think it should be a blue pistol (or perhaps parkerized), but not "black". The only black Colt that i know of is the 1918 "black army".
    Some pics and a thorough description would really help .
    He referring to a Series 80, Eli, the serial number he gives is from a M1991A1. Mine is from 2000, #27977XX.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper
    Last edited by OD*; 23rd February 2008 at 17:04.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by K9346
    Found a Colt 5" in black, Series 80 with a serial number of 27926**.

Couple of questions, when was this made, approximately? What kind of finish does Colt use, and does this finish hold up better than the regular blueing? And, is $699 a decent price? It was in good shape and came w/ only 1 mag but it did have the original box and papers.

Again thanks to all who are helpng me with info.
    699.00 seems high. I recently bought a "black" ORM M1991A1, serial number 27226**, in very good condition for 400.00. 1 mag, no box. I love the finish, looks and durability.

Posts liked by others
    A call to Colt for sure. NIB maybe $1K.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    $1k for a 1991?! Yoikes, I haven't been watching the prices closely I guess.

Posts liked by others
    Yup, I have seen them sell for that down here. Go buy a new Kimber whatever for $1K.
    NRA Life Member

Posts liked by others
    Thanks for all the info guys, I was checking for my brother. He had called me with the info on the 1911. He went ahead and bought it, and I'm getting him to join and post pics.

The funny thing is, I am wanting a Colt, and once he found out he went and got one before me, ha.

Posts liked by others
    1000.00 for a parkerized ORM 1991A1, even NIB? I know geographical market location is a big factor in determining price, but the Great Southwest must indeed be a long way from North Carolina.