Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michigan State Police Commemorative

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Michigan State Police Commemorative

A local shop has a MI State Police Commemorative colt for sale, of which I don't know much about. I've started to see a few of these for sale on the net and locally and was wondering if anyone knows much about them. Why are they being sold off and who is selling them ?

I just hate to see a piece of my own states history on sale and am seriously considering picking it up. Any thing in particular I should look out for or be aware of ? I'll be checking it out Friday morning 2/22 and would decide then.
    C BTRY 1st BN 119th FA

Posts liked by others
    Hi

There are a lot of these pistols out there. Some were made by the Colt custom shop, others are made by outfits that do engraving / inlay.

If you like the pistol, then buy it. You probably won't find another one.

If you are looking for an investment - look elsewhere. These pistols to not appreciate at a very rapid rate.

Bob

Posts liked by others
    I'm not really looking to invest, my dad was a cop here in MI and I just hate to see a piece of local history not being taken care of.

Thanks for the info
    C BTRY 1st BN 119th FA

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by pa_guns
    Hi

There are a lot of these pistols out there.

If you are looking for an investment - look elsewhere. These pistols to not appreciate at a very rapid rate.

Bob

They are good guns to build on because they are not worth much. That said there are a few that are decent buys. Good luck look forward to the pics.

Posts liked by others
    A quick look doesn't show a Colt issued Michigan commemorative. If that's the case it was commissioned by one or the other of the "societies" who continually pester people to buy plates, coins, and other so-called collectible items.

Other than the markings that pistol itself is very unlikey to have any historical significance. For that you want to find the actual pistol carried by your dad, or carried by another famous figure in Michigan history.

Pistols like the one you saw were simply attempts to garner sales to people. They have about the same historical importance as the silver and gold filled coins you see for sale for $19.95 (if you order right now) in commercials on late night TV.

If it's a good price, and those types often are, the pistol itself is as good as any other same model Colt. Just sorta' gawdy.

If you buy it in the hope of it later becoming a sought after collectible piece it MUST be pristine, unfired, unmarked, no corrosion, etc. Perfect, in other words, as originally issued. Anything less cuts any value in half or worse. You'd do better to buy a new regular issue Colt and sock it away for 25 to 50 years or more.

Posts liked by others
    Must be the one I've seen at Jay's. Don't know if it has been fired or not, but just looking through the display case it looks to be unfired. It is very well done and is in a wood presentation case. I would guess the asking price of $1200 is not too unreasonable. 44 Man
    You're never too old to have a happy childhood!

Posts liked by others
    Actually it's at Total Firearms and also looks unfired.

My guess is they were held by State troopers that retired, quit or were laid off. Or held by the State and were liquidated to pay for other things.

The MI State Police 60th anniversary was in 1977, so it's not like these were recently done unless someone was really slow on celebrating the anniversary. If it weren't for the engraving, I'd pick one up for a project I have in mind.
    C BTRY 1st BN 119th FA

Posts liked by others
    Hi

No reason to pass one up, just don't pay to much money for it !!!

Bob

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill
    Pistols like the one you saw were simply attempts to garner sales to people. They have about the same historical importance as the silver and gold filled coins you see for sale for $19.95 (if you order right now) in commercials on late night TV.
    You mean the ones that are strictly limited to one per customer, but if you order withing the next 30 minutes you can buy five for that price?

Those?
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside
    Last edited by Hawkmoon; 24th February 2008 at 20:34.

Posts liked by others
    Hi

The ones that only with this offer will we throw in the other 49 states for half price ....

The pistols aren't quite that bad, but they are a bit headed that way.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast