Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt MK4 series 70...Need some info prior to buying

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Colt MK4 series 70...Need some info prior to buying

I,m in the process of setting up a trade for a Colt MK4 Series 70 (first issue series) and would appreciate if I could tap into some of your collective wisdom. The Colt has about 25 rounds through it...it is finished in a black coating with black grips (with colt emblems). The finish is in pretty good shape (about 90 percent) and shows some wear on sharp edges...not much on the slide frame interface. The serial number is prefixed with "B70-----" I guess indicating a 1979 - 1983 manufacture date. I am planning on trading a (C & R) listed pistol, valued at approx. $850. What are your thoughts on the price of trade...and any plus or minus attributes of the pistol that I should be aware of. As you can tell I am a novice when it comes to Colt M1911's but sharp enough to know where to get the info I need....Regard, Jack

Posts liked by others
    Pictures would be a big help.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercpo
    I,m in the process of setting up a trade for a Colt MK4 Series 70 (first issue series) and would appreciate if I could tap into some of your collective wisdom. The Colt has about 25 rounds through it...it is finished in a black coating with black grips (with colt emblems). The finish is in pretty good shape (about 90 percent) and shows some wear on sharp edges...not much on the slide frame interface. The serial number is prefixed with "B70-----" I guess indicating a 1979 - 1983 manufacture date. I am planning on trading a (C & R) listed pistol, valued at approx. $850. What are your thoughts on the price of trade...and any plus or minus attributes of the pistol that I should be aware of. As you can tell I am a novice when it comes to Colt M1911's but sharp enough to know where to get the info I need....Regard, Jack
    Sorry...no pictures available. Any general thoughts that you would be willing to venture based upon the info in the original thread would be appreciated.

Posts liked by others
    A black coating?

That isn't right. Colt blued or plated guns in those days.
    And put walnut grips on most of them.

Posts liked by others
    Is it blued? Can you tell if someone has attempted to "gunsmith" on it especially the feed ramp?
    If it is in good shape an $850 trade would not be a bad trade.
    I would suggest looking at Series 70 pictures and comparing them to the pistol you are looking at.
    With the serial number Colt customer service (1 800 962 Colt) can tell you the date of manufacture.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson
    A black coating?

That isn't right. Colt blued or plated guns in those days.
    And put walnut grips on most of them.
    My mistake...it is blued (It looked black in the picture that he sent me) and the owner said he had the walnut grips for the pistol and could provide them if I wanted. I did get to see the Ser # in the picture...it appears to support the circa 1983 time frame. I'll make sure a gunsmith checks it out for me before I close the deal.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Posts liked by others
    I thought the 70 series all serial with a prefix like 70Gxxxxx, 70Lxxxxx for 9mm, 70Nxxxxx for GoldCup, but none with a "B" prefix.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill
    I thought the 70 series all serial with a prefix like 70Gxxxxx, 70Lxxxxx for 9mm, 70Nxxxxx for GoldCup, but none with a "B" prefix.
    I pulled this information from an article that I found on the web...once again I am planning on checking its accuracy with Colt. The serialization pertains "only" to the "1971 - 1983" original issue of the MK 4, .45 Series 70 pistol: (1970 - 1976, a 70G Prefix), (1976 - 1980, a G70 Suffix), (1979 - 1981, a B70 Suffix), and (1981 - 1983, a 70B Prefix).

Posts liked by others
    I have a Series 70 from that timeframe that is my favorite shooter. The sights are adequate for daytime only. I would say that unless the one you are looking at has flaws that it is a good trade.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hill
    I have two 70 series that have the 70B prefix.

Check to see if it has the original collet style bushing. Box, paerwork? If it's in good shape, I'd say it's also a seems like a fair trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast