Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hybrid Magazines

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

ok

Hello, I think I understand now,

I only use 230gr RNL and shoot quality well designed 230gr hollow point bullets, wouldn't the USGI mags from CMI be an even more reliable alternative than the hybrid?

I shoot the same stuff, 230grain ball and hollow points, I have a Kimber Custom II and a Springfield GI, both run 100 percent.

I have used the GI mags and the Hybrid, For some reason the Hybrid feel smoother and feed perfect.

Buy two of each and try them on your 1911,

I hope this helps

Posts liked by others
    Yeah that helps a bunch. I think I'll buy one of each just to see how they work and compare the two. Maybe someone has done an extensive test between the two and has reported it. I'll try to do a search on this. I appreciate the replies... David

Posts liked by others
    I have read most of the stickies in this forum but I cannot yet help myself choose between GI or hybrid lips. I mostly do 230gr FMJ but I'd like to use the most reliable mags.

Posts liked by others
    The GI mags will work fine with 230 ball. Occasionally you'll hit one that needs to have the release point advanced. If you're not sure of how to do it correctly...go with the Hybrid. They're essentially the GI design with the release point adjusted to feed the H&G # 68 SWC, and they're more versatile with different bullet shapes.

Posts liked by others
    Must I understand from your wise words that the best mag design is that with the hybrid lips--not advising the use of the GI lips unless for historical reasons?

In which instances should I modify the lips of a GI mag? How is that procedure done?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by venison
    Must I understand from your wise words that the best mag design is that with the hybrid lips--not advising the use of the GI lips unless for historical reasons?
    No. The hybird is more versatile, and more likely to work without further attention.
    The full-tapered GI magazine works just fine, but sometimes needs a little adjustment on the release point...even with hardball.

Quote Originally Posted by venison
    In which instances should I modify the lips of a GI mag?
    Carefully...and preferably with a fixture and a gauge. The release should occur with the rim of a .473 gauge sitting against the front side of the dimple...and the gauge should release easily with light drag under spring tension alone. The "Light Drag" is the hitch in the getalong. It's a "feel" thing, and comes with experience and practice.

The hybrid has the correct release point already pre-formed, and the drag is induced by the geometry of the release point. It's a little less abrupt than typical "wadcutter" lips.
    Last edited by 1911Tuner; 3rd June 2008 at 16:50.

Posts liked by others
    So I'm going to get some hybrids because I preffer not to have to tinker with new mags. I read somewhere I should get them with the 11# spring so that's what I'm going to ask for.

Posts liked by others

Wolff 5% spring

I have some CMC 8 round power mags, and for the replacement springs, if I understand correctly I need the 5% mag spring. They are labeled as:

.45 Cal. - 8 round 1911/Commander & 7 round Officers
    Newer Government and Commander models have a standard factory capacity of 8 rounds. These 5% extra power magazine springs help improve feeding. Also used in Shooting Star 8 round .45 magazines.
    Stock No. 71461...+5% XP - each.............$ 7.49

Is this right for the Government model too?
    The choices we make in life will echo in eternity. Choose wisely. <><

Posts liked by others
    FWIW, here's a pic of the three different types of magazines showing the differences in their feed lip geometry: http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...030002atxt.jpg The release points are from limited testing on one or two magazines of each type with a single round in the magazine, so take them for what they're worth.

Regards

P.S.: Are these really the only three different types, or are there others?
    When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind. [Lord Kelvin]
    Last edited by niemi24s; 5th November 2008 at 22:13. Reason: Add P.S.:

Posts liked by others
    niemi24s, if you look from the side I think that you will find that the tapered lip and hybrid lip mags position the front of the round higher than the wadcutter (straight lip) mag. I found this aids in reliable feeding.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast