Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Condition One: Dangerous?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Condition One: Dangerous?

There seems to be some lingering concern over the issue of carrying a standard design 1911 pistol in Condition One...so I thought I'd write up the results of a demonstration that I did for a friend a few years back. He was so nervous about my habit of carrying the pistol in that mode, he all but told me that he wouldn't go anywhere with me unless I put the gun in C-2 or C-3...nor would he come to visit me unless I made the gun "safe" enough to put his mind at ease.

I scrounged up an old hammer and sear for the demo.

First I cut the hammer hooks off the hammer...thumbed it back and let go. The half-cock notch caught it.

Next, I used a Dremel and a cutting wheel to lop off a full 1/8th inch from the sear crown...thumbed the hammer back, and let go. The half-cock notch caught it.

Both of these demonstrations were repeated several times.

He asked: "What if the half-cock notch breaks?"

So...I removed the half-cock notch...loaded a primed case into the chamber...thumbed the hammer back and snicked the thumb safety into the safe position...knowing that when I released the hammer, it would cam the safety down and let the hammer fall.

It required over 30 repeated strikes on the same primer to fire it. That's thirty. Two things were retarding the hammer. One was the imposition of the thumb safety lug, combined with the resistance offered by the plunger assembly. The other was the sear dragging on the hammer itself as it rotated. Both worked together to slow the hammer and soften its fall. This, with a half-cock notch and hammer hooks ground completely off, rather than left ragged like they would have been had they simply broken.

"But...but...what if you drop the gun?" (Unconvinced...He persisted)

*sigh*

I loaded another primed case and chambered it. Not wishing to damage a good pistol, I used a junk Auto-Ordnance slide and barrel that I'd tossed into the corner after salvaging the useable frame. (Hey! I gave a hundred bucks for it.) I installed the slide onto its original frame...and held the gun at waist level...and dropped it muzzle first onto a thin throw-rug on a concrete floor. It didn't fire.

I held it at shoulder level and dropped it again. No dice.

I held it at arms-length above my head. Same deal.

I climbed a 6-foot step-ladder and dropped it from a height of about 10 feet. This time, the primer had a very slight mark on it...but it didn't fire.

I still have the hammer, sear, barrel, and slide should anybody wish to come and see for themselves. Standing offer. Say when, and we'll leave the light on for ya.

Any questions?
    Last edited by 1911Tuner; 2nd January 2008 at 18:54.

Posts liked by others
    Oh my, oh dear! His gun is cocked!

Posts liked by others
    Yea, but it's a heavy gun. If you drop it from the ladder on someone's foot, it could break a toe.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    Blog Entries
    Who cares about the toes? I am thinking of the poor gun, even a totally gone 1911 doesn't deserve being thrown down from a ladder! If it was a Glock, yeah, OK, but an 1911???

Healtless Johnny.

OK, this becomes a sticky.
    John Caradimas SV1CEC
    The M1911 Pistols Organization
    http://www.m1911.org
    Likes (1) :
    R1Pete (22nd December 2016)

Posts liked by others
    And another myth is busted. Another good one Tuner.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    If it was a Glock, yeah, OK, but an 1911???
    Well, John...When you're talkin' about Thompson Auto Ordnance...I guess those could be loosely referred to as 1911s.

Posts liked by others
    Great story and a good, illustrative lesson. I'm assuming your friend's mind is changed on the subject?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ping Ping
    I'm assuming your friend's mind is changed on the subject?
    Well...He's a little less freaky over it, but still wasn't completely comfortable with it.
    I think it's the visible hammer that throws him, because he isn't at all nervous about rabbit hunting with his double shotgun. Yeah. I pointed that out to him...but his mind's made up. Won't allow factual evidence to obscure that.
    Last edited by 1911Tuner; 3rd January 2008 at 11:39.

Posts liked by others
    Isn't the capacity of people to ignore proven facts amazing?

Tuner, thank you for your very enlightening, plain spoken explanations.
    Someday, if I can afford it, could I send you my 1911 to be properly tuned?

Posts liked by others
    Hi

Ok, but what if you drop it 100,000 times, each time in a slightly different orientation? How about if you cut the firing pin spring in half? What was gravity reading at your location?

There's always more questions when the person asking the question doesn't have to do the hard work to answer them !!!

Neat demo !!!!

Bob

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast