Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site


Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Cabela's, Blue Ridge Firerarms or Field Supply, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Also, don't forget to visit our other sponsors sites, click-throughs are appreciated by our advertisers. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: best OWB and IWB 1911 holsters

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
  1. #1
    Join Date
    5th September 2004
    Location
    Kansas (Tx Native)
    Posts
    391

    best OWB and IWB 1911 holsters

    Looking for good OWB holsters for my Commander and Officers model. Would like something that keeps the pistol tight to the body for concealed carry.
    I have also been toying with the idea of getting IWB holsters as well. Ideas? Pictures of carrying? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    What do you want to spend? $30 for Uncle Mike's? $50-80 for Galco/Bianchi? $100+ for Milt Sparks, etc?

    IWB: Milt Sparks VMII
    OWB: Milt Sparks Axiom

    I might drink the Milt Sparks kool-aid.

    The search function would work great for your question.
    Last edited by nunya; 4th December 2007 at 21:35.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    22nd December 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    5,790
    There are a lot of good holster makers out there. I have 4 that are my "go to" makers. If they make a holster for it, I don't look elsewhere.
    Premium makers:
    Milt Sparks (my current IWB maker)
    Lou Alessi (the CQC/s, DOJ, and PSS are great OWB)
    Kramer (one of each the IWB #3, and the Vertical Scabbard)

    Value maker(quality work but priced lower than the above)
    Rafter S Gunleather - (OWB holster)
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    4th November 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    7,951
    For an IWB holster I'm partial to the Versa Max II from Milt Sparks or the 62L from Horseshoe leather. For an OWB holster, I like the Axiom from Milt Sparks (http://ezine.m1911.org/MiltSparksAxiom.htm). I've ordered a Vertical Scabbard from Kramer and am anxious to try it.

    I have a couple of Del Fatti holsters (an IWB and an OWB snap on) for my H&K P7M8, and they are excellent quality as well. Unfortunately, there's a two year wait unless someone like Lightning Arms Sports (http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm ) has what you need in stock. I also have a couple of Alessi and Bulman holsters for various guns, and they are also excellent quality.

    DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

  5. #5
    Join Date
    25th December 2006
    Location
    Ringgold, GA
    Posts
    577
    Here are several that I like:

    IWB - Dakota Defender, $70, & Cochise Defender, $65

    OWB - Laredo Defender, $65

    Check out K&D Holsters at www.kdholsters.com. The owner, Kevin, made the Dakota Defender and a nice belt for my S&W carry 1911 earlier in the year. Currently he's making the Laredo Defender and another belt for my S&W M&P compact. Great products at very reasonable prices.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    24th March 2005
    Location
    Stockbridge, GA
    Posts
    6
    IWB - Milt Sparks VMII
    OWB- Lou Alessi CQCs

    I don't have any experience with the Milt Sparks Axiom OWB but if it's anything like the VMII it must be a good holster.

  7. #7
    Just got my VMII the other day after 5 month wait. It is for my 10mm CCO w/ rail. Fit is perfect. It wears perfect. Only problem is with the belt loops and my rafter leather belts. The loops are a bit small. The tuckable kydex J's would not come close. The normal loops are as tight as possible. I cannot use the button around the belt; they must be fastened before I insert the belt.

    This seems more of a problem with the belts from rafter. My bladetech will barely fit on them too. I love the belts and the holster, but I may order the 1.75" loops for my 1.5" belts.

    Just something to be aware of.

    Nathan

    BTW, I use blackhawk serpa OWB on paddle. Personally, I like the retention system, and the consealability is adequate. However, they only make one for the Full size government that can be used for a commander (no rail of course). Nothing for the officer in serpa yet.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    24th March 2005
    Location
    Stockbridge, GA
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Creel
    Just got my VMII the other day after 5 month wait. It is for my 10mm CCO w/ rail. Fit is perfect. It wears perfect. Only problem is with the belt loops and my rafter leather belts. The loops are a bit small. The tuckable kydex J's would not come close. The normal loops are as tight as possible. I cannot use the button around the belt; they must be fastened before I insert the belt.

    This seems more of a problem with the belts from rafter. My bladetech will barely fit on them too. I love the belts and the holster, but I may order the 1.75" loops for my 1.5" belts.

    Just something to be aware of.

    Nathan

    BTW, I use blackhawk serpa OWB on paddle. Personally, I like the retention system, and the consealability is adequate. However, they only make one for the Full size government that can be used for a commander (no rail of course). Nothing for the officer in serpa yet.
    You know the kydex loops fit over your pants and not the belt? The loops on a VMII can be removed easily. If you just got it from Milt Sparks, Inc. I would contact them and ask for a larger loop size. I had problems with one of my VMII's where the leather separated from the rest. I send it back and they fixed me up good.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    22nd December 2004
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    5,790
    N. Creel I have noticed the same thing about Rafter S belts. My 1.5" Rafter belt was quite a bit wider than my 1.5" Del Fatti belt, but I thought it was just a fluke.
    "The 1911 was the design, given by God to us through John M. Browning, that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and it's true now." - Col. Robert Coates commanding, U.S. Marine Corp Special Operations Command Detachment 1 (DET 1)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Attack
    You know the kydex loops fit over your pants and not the belt? The loops on a VMII can be removed easily. If you just got it from Milt Sparks, Inc. I would contact them and ask for a larger loop size. I had problems with one of my VMII's where the leather separated from the rest. I send it back and they fixed me up good.
    Ah ha, well, that explains why I couldn't get a belt through the kydex loops, but it looks like a thin one would fit. I guess my processor is running a bit slow lately. Didn't try it too much, because I won't need them until next summer.

    I'll probably call them for an extra set of regular loops that are a bit larger.

    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwc
    N. Creel I have noticed the same thing about Rafter S belts. My 1.5" Rafter belt was quite a bit wider than my 1.5" Del Fatti belt, but I thought it was just a fluke.
    I have bought three all the same width from Rafter S. I have a 1.75" Del fatti as well, but the double thickness isn't nearly as thick. I haven't measured the true width of the Del Fatti. I did put a ruler on the Rafter S, and it's right at 1 9/16".

    My wilderness instructor's belt is my favorite for comfort, and the snaps are hard to use on it as well. However, I think with a little time it will work. The Rafter belts will never be able to use the snaps. Unless I get bigger loops.
    Last edited by N. Creel; 6th December 2007 at 14:13.


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from Brownells, Sinclair or Police Store, please use their banners above. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Non-gun-related supporters.
Thank you for visiting our supporters.