Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: M1911A1 used in Vietnam

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

M1911A1 used in Vietnam

Hello, I currently own a new Auto-Ordnance 1911A1PKZ. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the 1911A1's used by the US military in the Vietnam war had a blued finish or a parkerized finish? Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

Posts liked by others
    I believe they were parkerized.

Posts liked by others
    There have been no NEW M1911A1 pistols (excluding a couple of small, specialty oders) manufactured for the U.S. military since approximately 1946. The pistols we had in Vietnam were all recycled or rebuilt WW2 M1911A1s and were Parkerized
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Thanks a lot! And Thanks for serving!!
    Last edited by bbert73; 2nd December 2007 at 20:49.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    There have been no NEW M1911A1 pistols (excluding a couple of small, specialty oders) manufactured for the U.S. military since approximately 1946. The pistols we had in Vietnam were all recycled or rebuilt WW2 M1911A1s and were Parkerized
    It is my understanding that some NOS pistols from WWII were used in Vietnam. The one I was issued certainly looked new but it could have just been a very well done arsenal rebuild. I wasn't "in" to 1911s at that time so I don't recall the markings on the pistol. I do recall that it was parked,and came in a cardboard box. Also, the two mags came sealed in wrappers and likewise appeared to be new. After almost forty years it is hard to remember some details and the only picture I have of myself with the pistol is not good enough to tell it's condition.

Posts liked by others
    I stood watch on a destroyer in 1976 with a Singer Sewing MachineCompany .45.Wish I had it now.

Posts liked by others
    I wonder if the North vietnamese will ever sell off any of the 1911s that we left over there. If I recall correctly, 10 U.S. Divisions deployed there and left everything behind in the hands of our gallant little allies, who quickly sold or surrendered it all to the NVA. Add to that the small arms that we gave away to the south viets.

How many 1911s were on the books for a typical infantry division in the 60s? Must have been close to a thousand.

It is painful that we have never brought back any small arms sent overseas until Desert Storm, when units returned with their issue weapons.

I, for one, would like to see all the .45s brought back and dumped to screw the dealers who have run the prices up so high on issue 1911s. At the last gun and jerkey show, I saw a "dealer" with a re-arsenaled Ithaca asking $2,000.

Posts liked by others
    I saw one at a gunshow that had what looked like Chinese [to my uneducated eye] lettering,beat to heck,no finish.Converted to 7.62x25.IIRC HE wanted two grand ,too.Thank God for Rock Island Arsenal,and Sarco.
    Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you. - Benjamin Franklin

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth
    I, for one, would like to see all the .45s brought back and dumped to screw the dealers who have run the prices up so high on issue 1911s. At the last gun and jerkey show, I saw a "dealer" with a re-arsenaled Ithaca asking $2,000.

Jay.....

A hearty 'thank you' from all us military 1911 collectors.....

In my opinion, there is no such thing as a bad dealer.... just bad buyers.

Posts liked by others
    Hi

My guess is that they have sat in a wet dark storage depot for the last 30 years. Can you say *corrosion* ....

Bob