Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just bought a new Taurus 1911 - Help Needed

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Question I just bought a new Taurus 1911 - Help Needed

Hey guys,

I'm mostly a revolver man, but I purchased my first 1911. A Taurus PT 1911. I've read the manual twice, and already fired 100 rounds through the gun. I've accidentally dry fired the gun twice! Hopefully this didn't do any damage? The only trouble I had, was getting used to the safety lock on the hammer. I'm getting close to disassembling the gun, but I am kinda scared to do so... after reading the manual. Anyways, I wanted a higher end 1911, but was on a budget, and I feel like I got a good buy. The gun sold brand new for 450.00!

Does anyone know if there's any instructions that are more detailed for cleaning and breaking down the Taurus? I'm looking for a manual which I can print from online or something.

Nate

Posts liked by others

Thumbs up Welcome to the Forum!

No need to concern yourself, dry firing a 1911 will not cause any damage. However releasing the slide on an empty chamber or permitting it to slap into place by hand cranking may. You should utilize the slide release when loading the gun to insure proper lock up. On an empty chamber release the slide very gently holding the slide until it stops.

On the home page of the site at http://www.m1911.org/m1911dt.htm
    You will find complete instructions on disassembly and assembly and many other important facts about the 1911.

Good luck with your new gun, you will enjoy the folks in here, they are very helpful. And do remember that the only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked.

Rich
    Certified NRA Instructor Pistol & Shotgun
    ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Posts liked by others
    Congrats on the PT-1911! Rich is correct in stating that dry firing will not hurt your pistol. Spend some time on this site just reading the sticky threads and you will learn much. Please ask if you have a question as there are many wise and experienced people on this forum.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-D
    No need to concern yourself, dry firing a 1911 will not cause any damage. However releasing the slide on an empty chamber or permitting it to slap into place by hand cranking may. You should utilize the slide release when loading the gun to insure proper lock up. On an empty chamber release the slide very gently holding the slide until it stops.

On the home page of the site at http://www.m1911.org/m1911dt.htm
    You will find complete instructions on disassembly and assembly and many other important facts about the 1911.

Good luck with your new gun, you will enjoy the folks in here, they are very helpful. And do remember that the only stupid question is the one that wasn't asked.

Rich
    Rich, I allowed the slide to slap forward maybe 6-10 times... So if this can ruin parts in a gun. Is there a way to see the damage when disassembling the gun for cleaning? This is a new gun, and a big chunk of change for me. There's nothing in the manual that mentions this. Is this a warning for 1911s in general, or would it apply to just the Taurus.

Rio Vista Slim Guest

Nate,
    More than likely, you have done no permanent damage to your Taurus PT1911 by allowing it to go to battery on an empty chamber. The things Rich mentioned are important for all 1911 type pistols.

Your comment about the hammer safety on your Taurus is interesting. There have been several different types of safeties incorporated into the designs of a variety of guns over the past several years. Unless you have a good reason to activate the hammer safety on your Taurus (i.e. children in the house), there is no need to activate it.

The Four Rules of Gun Safety (found here:http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=3485) are the REALLY IMPORTANT RULES that should be religiously followed. When those are not followed, the results can be catastrophic. As a revolver man, you know these things, but it never hurts to be reminded of them.

Your Taurus should give you years of good shooting. We welcome you to the forum, and encourage you to ask any questions that might arise. That's what we're here for (among other things ), and should the answer not be forthcoming, you can always PM one of the members or moderators for assistance.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by cowlishaw
    Rich, I allowed the slide to slap forward maybe 6-10 times... So if this can ruin parts in a gun. Is there a way to see the damage when disassembling the gun for cleaning? This is a new gun, and a big chunk of change for me. There's nothing in the manual that mentions this. Is this a warning for 1911s in general, or would it apply to just the Taurus.

Rio Vista Slim covered the fact that the few times that you did it, would most likely not cause damage to the gun. For your piece of mind, the Taurus is a very sturdy gun. The information we have provided covers all 1911's. The owners manuels are not very informative. However this site and the folks in here do a great job of providing the information not contained in the manuels,
    plus a lot more information than would ever be contained in the very best of manuels.

In so far as the safety, if you are referring to the lever under the slide on the left rear of the gun that only engages upward with the hammer is cocked, that is the main safety on the gun and should always be in the up position when a round is in the chamber. It is thumbed down only when you are ready to fire.

Rich
    Last edited by Rich-D; 7th October 2007 at 19:13.

Posts liked by others
    Welcome to the world of 1911 ownership. Check this site out it has both field stripping and detailed disassembly instructions for the pt1911. (http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...f5&board=25.0).
    However just about any instructions that consider full length guide rods will work.

Posts liked by others
    Where'd ya fine one for $450?? Sounds like a great price. Was it a gun show special?

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich-D
    In so far as the safety, if you are referring to the lever under the slide on the left rear of the gun that only engages upward with the hammer is cocked, that is the main safety on the gun and should always be in the up position when a round is in the chamber. It is thumbed down only when you are ready to fire.
    Rich, I think he is referring to the Taurus key lock, which they incorporate somewhere on all their guns. On the 1911 I believe it is somehow incorporated into the hammer. The instructions on detail stripping a standard 1911 won't cover this particular "thingie" (technical jargon for "doodad"), because nobody else uses anything quite like it.

I would hope that you can just unlock it and forget it. If for any reason that doesn't work, unless you have children in the house I think I would seriously consider replacing the Taurus hammer with an aftermarket hammer from someplace like Wilson Combat. Infernal (sorry, "inTernal") locks are just one more thing to fail just when you don't want things to fail.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Hawkmoon, I do believe that Rio Vista Slim and you are correct in your assessment that cowlishaw is referring to the hex safety built into the hammer. However on the slim chance that he was referring to the thumb safety, I made the post in order to prevent a dangerous mode of handling.

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast