Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: 10mm to .357 Sig?

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

10mm to .357 Sig?

I have a Colt 10mm that I never shoot, (I have two other 10s that I do shoot). I really like the .357 Sig caliber. But, I have never seen a 1911 chambered in .357. I am thinking that a Delta Elite platform would be a pretty good base for this conversion. Anyone tried it? And please, no suggestions of different calibers or tell me that I am wasting a good 10mm.

ranburr

Posts liked by others
    There are several brands of pistols that can be converted from ten mm to .40 and .40 to .357 Sig as you know. The one difference I have noticed is they use ramped barrels, but there may be exceptions. If you can find a barrel, you may be good to go. Getting that bottle necked cartridge to feed in a Colt configuration frame and barrel ramp may be a problem. Interesting project.
    xxxxxx Iron bottom sez; Don't let your Rat Terrier hang around with college boys.

Posts liked by others
    I really like the .357 myself. I'm sorry i can't provide you with any specifics about the conversion....but personally i think that i would not alter the Delta 10mm, as it's no longer in production. It will lose value significantly by modifying it in any way. On the other hand, it's your gun so do what makes you happy (i'm thinking about modifying a "Compact" to my taste, down the road). An alternative (if this type of conversion is possible) would be to buy a cheaper 1911 and start the conversion from there.
    Curious to hear what others have to say about the conversion possibilities.
    Eli

Posts liked by others
    Any idea on what would be a good recoil spring wt for this conversion?

ranburr

Posts liked by others

Big .38 Super fan!!!

A 9mm/.40 S&W to .357SIG would be easier; others can tell you which ejector to use (and whatever else you'd need) - the .38 Super and .45acp have different ejectors, extractors etc to consider.

Barsto makes .357SIG barrels for the 1911 and you'll need to tell them which slide you have.
    http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=GV&cco=24

You'll find the .357SIG to be less versatile than the 10mm given the same platform.

Bob
    NRA Life Member since '67

"Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake."
    Napoleon