Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advantages of full length guide rod

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Advantages of full length guide rod

I've seen in the customization options at Springfield that you can get a "full length" guide rod added to your pistol. I'm trying to figure out this whole area of "full length" guide rods, one-piece guide rods, etc.

Some advantages that I've seen listed:
    * It makes it easier to work with the recoil spring (since it's encased in the full length, one-piece guide rod)
    * It can add some weight to your gun, helping to tame muzzle flip and recoil

So, for those who have tried, are full length and one-piece guide rods worth it? Do they really give you a boost in convenience for disassembly of your gun, and in your shooting control? If so, is this something I can likely just drop in or fit myself, or does it get pretty involved and require substantial gunsmithing skills?
    Last edited by husker_t; 30th September 2007 at 14:45.

Posts liked by others
    I can't really speak from experience yet but I just replaced the FLGR in my loaded 9132L with a regular rod and button. I didn't like the idea of needing an allen wrench to dissassemble my pitsol and the hollow button under the bushing always cut into my thumb when I was taking it down for cleaning. I haven't taken the pistol out yet to fire it since the parts switch so I can't say if there's a real noticable difference in functioning or felt recoil.
    I have been told that the idea of the FLGR was mainly back in the day when most of the 1911's were alot looser in their tolerances(military spec) and rattled more. The FLGR helped to tighten it up a bit and shoot tighter groups in competition. With todays offerings and sldie to frame fits I am not certain they are really needed as much. My 9132L model doesn't rattle no matter how hard I shake it, with or without the FLGR. The fit and finish on it is superb. Granted, this is the first 1911A1 I have owned but I have shot many over the years from friends and relatives and they were all mostly true Govt models (one of them even a Singer made unit)

Hopefully others will chime in and set the record straight. I could be totally off on this one.
    JTMcD.

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Posts liked by others
    Did you get a Springfield part, or some aftermarket brand?

Posts liked by others
    There is no benefit to a full length guide rod period.

Posts liked by others
    I have no particular use for a FLGR. I've used them, and can do fine without them -- i. e., with the old fashion short rod and solid plug. I do use a tungsten FLGR in my competition gun, but I've really noticed no real difference in performance with or without one.

This is, however, one of the perennial and irreconcilable debates in the pistol world. No one, AFAIK, has come up with any "scientific" proof one way or another.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others

Lightbulb Just my opinion...

But you could waste your money on worse items...

My Springfield Loaded came with a FLGR... and I'll tell you from personal experience, that the experience of dissassembly is a bad experience... and will make you sort of when you take it apart for cleaning... and you'll definitely form an opinion about one of these critters.

How about putting those $$$ into a high quality extra magazine?

Now, if you really want to try one... that Springfield piece ought to drop right on in your pistol.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope".

- Sir Winston Churchill

Posts liked by others
    Full-Length guide rods are a great aid to extraction and feeding.

They extract money from your pocket and feed it into somebody else's...

Cheers

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Tuner
    Full-Length guide rods are a great aid to extraction and feeding.

They extract money from your pocket and feed it into somebody else's...
    Hee hee. I knew you'd tout your oft-used saying. Thanks for not disappointing.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    Thanks for not disappointing.
    Hey...It's whut Ah dew.
    Last edited by 1911Tuner; 1st October 2007 at 09:29.

Posts liked by others
    I have a Loaded Parked Springfield that came with the FLGR. I neither like nor dislike it. I honestly don't mind needing an allen wrench to take the gun apart for field stripping, but then allen wrenches are cheap so having one in the ammo can and one at home is easy. I also use the allen wrench to depress the cap to save my thumbs, but that's just my experience. I acknowledge and agree with Tuner and all the others that say that the guide rod has no real purpose inside the 1911, and is an unnecessary "upgrade". It's only in my gun because it was there when I bought it. It doesn't bug me, so I'm not in a hurry to shell out $$$ to buy a standard plug and rod.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast