Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6mm glatt

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

6mm glatt

A friend of mine showed me a single shot, bolt action rifle that he has, and was wanting some information on it. I told him I would look into it, but can't find much. Anyone got any information about the ammo type, I can get some more information as far as manufacturer tonite.

6mm glatt. Its a rimfire cartridge. Best I can figure its gotta be quite old, and is probably a curio or relic by now, or just an old gun that isn't worth anything, and he somehow ended up with it.

Thanks
    Last edited by gottripletsNC; 27th September 2007 at 13:19.

Posts liked by others
    Sounds like 6mm smooth-bore ("glatt" in German and other Germanic laguages, Norwegian included, means smooth). I remember ammo for it was sold here as late as the 70's. Anschütz made several versions of these guns, as did other less known manufacturers. There was also a 9mm version. I'm including a few pictures, Zippo lighter and match are for size comparison.

Balder

Last edited by Balder; 27th September 2007 at 14:34.

Posts liked by others
    Oh thats even smaller than a 22 short, it couldn't have been for more than anything than target shooting. Most BB guns actually have more velocity than that thing does. WOW.

Thanks Balder.

Posts liked by others
    It looks a lot like those .22 caliber CB caps that Aguila sells. I wonder how the ballistics compare.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others

6mm Flobert: Germany calling!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    It looks a lot like those .22 caliber CB caps that Aguila sells. I wonder how the ballistics compare.
    Hi,

The 6mm glatt is one of the two "Flobert" calibers(no translateable meaning to that term, its just a name, maybe of the inventor of those small cartidges): They are 6mm and 9 mm.
    They are also called "glatt" (smooth) because there are no rifled barrels used in these guns.
    The 6mm was also known as "mouse and sparrow gun", Its extremely low powered, really just for mice and sparrows, farm and barn/ short range use.

Cartridges were (and are still) available in ball and also in shot configuration, therefore the barrels came without rifling.
    Cost is high, about 18 Dollars/ 100 rounds, since they are pretty rare but still in production.

There are also blank versions of that cartridge, under the same name with just the addition of the word "Platzpatrone" (blank) , "Platz" or "Knall" (bang).
    So its easy to confuse blank guns with real guns, but since even those small guns require the owner to have a licence it is made sure that they only get in competent hands that know how to read caliber stamps.

The 9mm version was also very low power, under the .22lr for sure. Also in ball or shot or Platz configuration. But 9mm is better suited for tougher small critters like rats.

Both, 6 and 9 mm are without powder in the case, its just the primer driving the bullet.
    Some sources say the American (S&W) .22 short was based on the 6mm Flobert...I am not sure if this is corract, though.

I think they are typical German guns(using "Germany" not as political but cultural and language area, so its including our neighbours Austria and parts of Switzerland, maybe parts of France, too?) .

In earlier times I suppose you did not need a license, for they are low power and inaccurate. If farmers still can appy for a license is beyond my knowledge, though. I guess modern poisoning technology has outdated the "direct lead poisoning" of rats and critters.

Carsten
    "............................" (Charlie Chaplin)

(Could I get the Smilies black and white?? )

Posts liked by others

Ammo from RWS

Quote Originally Posted by gottripletsNC
    Anyone got any information about the ammo type, I can get some more information as far as manufacturer tonite.

Thanks
    Hi Triplets,

I know that RWS (German quality manufacturer) still actively produces 6mm Flobert, in all given configurations (see post above). There might be others, too, but I dont know that...

But also find the cost for them in the post above...nearly about .45 ACP prices!!

Carsten
    "............................" (Charlie Chaplin)

(Could I get the Smilies black and white?? )
    Last edited by carsten1911; 28th September 2007 at 03:15. Reason: typoy, typos, typos...too early i fear

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Carsten, I'll see if I can find some at let my friend know. He probably won't want any now after what I tell him. He will probably just keep the gun as a collector.

Posts liked by others
    That's a fascinating capsule history, Carsten. Thanks.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Here's the 9mm.

Balder

Posts liked by others
    now the question to ask, is how in the world did that weapon end up over here. It appears that its a european weapon. And I have not seen any ammo over here anywhere.

Wonder if I can get my buddy to sell it to me now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast