Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Model 1911 Optical sight Mounts

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Model 1911 Optical sight Mounts

Because of old age and visual problems Im exploring the use of aimpoint type sights. Has anybody used the NPC or Aimtech grip mounts with sucess. Id like to avoid drilling and tapping if possible. Thanks from a proud GILES shooter.

Posts liked by others
    saw a mount of that type years ago, the 2 concerns I would have are how well will the grip screws hold the mount, and will it hold zero.
    also the mount block the rear serrations, so you'll need ether a slide racker or a front serrations.
    with a frame mounted sight, your frame to slide fit should be fairly tight. if you think about it, with a slide mounted sights, slide to frame fit is not critical, because your using the top half of the gun to aim.
    with a frame mounted sight, your aiming with the bottom half.

another type of red dot scope to consider is the j-point available from jp entrprises or the doctor scopes. they both use mounts that replaces the rear sight.

Posts liked by others
    another option which would be cheaper is to replace your standard front sight with a fiber optic one. the fiber optic will glow in day light and they also have models for indoor lighting, and will assist your eyes to find and focus on the front sight.
    check with
    http://www.egw-guns.com/
    http://www.dawsonprecision.com/

Posts liked by others

sight mounts

Quote Originally Posted by DD698
    Because of old age and visual problems Im exploring the use of aimpoint type sights. Has anybody used the NPC or Aimtech grip mounts with sucess. Id like to avoid drilling and tapping if possible. Thanks from a proud GILES shooter.
    I use an Aimtech and it woks fine and I do not use the 2 pilot screws through the pin holes. It seems to mount on the grip bushins tight enough to repeat all right. Now, understand I just shoot action pistol stuff and not bullseye and I do not require extreme accuracy, just a 4 to 6 inch circle at up to 50 feet is good enough for me. take a look just click on the old mans pistolas and see it on my 1911
    Bear's Story .

If you have no money and few possesions, if you have a dog you are still rich.

Posts liked by others

1911 Optical Sights

Thanks for all the input guys now maybe this Upper Michigan man can shoot a little straighter. Neil from the land where everyone speaks English and the wolves out number the aliens both legal and illegal

Posts liked by others

red dot mount

Thanks for all the input guys now maybe this Upper Michigan man can shoot a little straighter. Neil from the land where everyone speaks English and the wolves out number the aliens both legal and illegal
    Hello there from the land of the trolls, what part of the UP do you live in eh? I spaek the language my daughter in law is a Yuper from South Republic and has family in Gwinn, Marquette and Sagola. Shot some sporting clays athe th slub in Sagaola lasy year. Usually meet the oldest son and his family up ther for a few days avery summer and stay near Iron Rib\ver normally. Say, ya to the UP eh?
    Bear's Story .

Posts liked by others

red dot mount

Hello there from the land of the trolls, what part of the UP do you live in eh? I spaek the language my daughter in law is a Yuper from South Republic and has family in Gwinn, Marquette and Sagola. Shot some sporting clays athe th slub in Sagaola lasy year. Usually meet the oldest son and his family up ther for a few days avery summer and stay near Iron River normally. Say, ya to the UP eh?
    That Aimteh mount work pretty good for me, but for iron sights I have added a Hi Viz fron t to most of my pistols.
    Bear's Story .

Posts liked by others

Reply to bearandoldman

Bearandoldman : I live in Escanaba and own a 180 acre farm in partnership in Bark River. Thanks Neil

Posts liked by others

sa UP eh?

Bearandoldman : I live in Escanaba and own a 180 acre farm in partnership in Bark River. Thanks Neil
    Actually you hace to get to Irin Mountain or farther west to get the UP accent. Should be up that way again this Summer, Shot sporting clays at Orchard Hils a few years ago, think it was his last year in business, down past the off road race track. Always stop at Dobber's for a pasty, stopped there years ago whe it was called the Red Onion.
    Bear's Story .