Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Officer vs. Commander

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Officer vs. Commander

Can someone please detail the specific differences between Officer and Commander 1911 styles. I know the barrel lengths are different, but I've read the frame sizes are different as well?

Thanks,

Matt

Posts liked by others
    The Commander has a reduced-length barrel (4.25 inches usually) on a full-size frame, so you have your standard 7+1 capacity in the magazine. An Officer model has usually a 4-inch barrel, but with a shortened stock/grip, and therefore smaller magazines, with a 6+1 load.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Tom - Resident Computer Geek
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!
    Last edited by Tom; 16th September 2007 at 22:35.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks, that clears it up a bit I think.

That makes my Ultra CDP an Officer slide on a Commander frame.

matt

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    The Commander has a reduced-length barrel (4.25 inches usually) on a full-size frame, so you have your standard 7+1 capacity in the magazine. An Officer model has usually a 4-inch barrel, but with a shortened stock/grip, and therefore smaller magazines, with a 6+1 load.
    Correction:

Springfield's "Champion" has a 4" barrel and is usually classed with Commander-size pistols rather than with Officers. A Colt Officers ACP has a 3-1/2" barrel.
    Hawkmoon
    On a good day, can hit the broad side of a barn ... from the inside

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ethernectar
    That makes my Ultra CDP an Officer slide on a Commander frame.
    Ish.

The terms "Commander" and "Officers" are specific to Colt. Other makers have pistols that are similar in lengths and configurations as Colt's Commander and Officers models - but they are not Commanders or Officers. Those must wear the pony on the sides.
    "I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and ... I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot
    Have a computer or Forum question? Visit our very own M1911.ORG Help Desk and ask!

Posts liked by others
    I'm assuming your Ultra CDP from Kimber has a 3-inch barrel? Even the Officers model didn't have a barrel that short. So you cannot properly say your CDP is "an Officer slide on a Commander frame".

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkmoon
    A Colt Officers ACP has a 3-1/2" barrel.
    I do stand (sit) corrected.

Posts liked by others
    Ok, I understand the Colt issue, but almost all of the 1911 manufacturer's I've looked at recently refer to their compact or ultracompact as Commander and Officer styles...

But if Colt has "Commander" and "Officer" terms trademarked/patented, they've not done a good job of protecting their intellectual property.

Not looking to split hairs, just get a better idea about the terms...
    Last edited by ethernectar; 16th September 2007 at 22:48.

Posts liked by others
    Also, the Kimber Ultra series guns (including the CDP, the Eclipse and a couple of other "Ultra" models) all have an "Officer" size grip frame rather than a "Commander" size. The magazines for an Ultra are officer size or 6 or 7 rounds, rather than full size magazines that hold 7 or 8 rounds.

DVC
    adapt, improvise, overcome
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.", Carl Sagan
    "One should shoot as quickly as one can -- but no quicker.", Jeff Cooper

Posts liked by others
    But if Colt has "Commander" and "Officer" terms trademarked/patented, they've not done a good job of protecting their intellectual property.
    Have you seen any other makers pistol rollmarked as such?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." - Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast