Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W 1911 Heads up!

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

S&W 1911 Heads up!

John! As promised. Better late than never, hey!

A few weeks ago, I had a couple guys from the Raleigh/Durham area ask me
    about some very noticeable peening of the rear left corner and side of the lower barrel lug on both their pistols. The guns were within 15 numbers of each other, and the damage was in the same place on both guns. One was more heavily damaged than the other. I had them bring the guns to me.

The damage was caused by a small piece of metal that hadn't been cut away in a machining step in the frame's barrel stop surface, located at the upper left corner, just below the curved frame bridge.

The burr had gotten so bad on one of the guns, that it wass interfering with the barrel's linkdown...and preventing the barrel from completely unlocking from the slide, which caused light flanging and rolling of the barrel's locking lugs. He caught it in time to prevent damaging the lugs beyond reasonable repair. I dressed the burr on the lug and removed the unmachined material
    in the frame with a small file, and corrected the problem on both guns.

They notified Smith & Wesson, and were told that it was normal to have slight wear in contact areas...but this wasn't normal wear. This was a flaw in the machining step that was either due to a cutter that had been resharpened too many times, and had become undersized...or a fixture had slipped.

I've become aware of two other pistols that had the same problem. In one picture that I saw, the unmachined piece wasn't as large as in the two that I repaired, nor did it damage the lower lug as badly...though it did kick up a burr in the same area.

So...Check your pistols for this defect. It's easy to see and easy to fix. Evidently Smith is either taking the stance that repairing any that come in under warranty is cheaper than a recall...or the guys didn't clearly explain the problem. At any rate, if your pistol has the defect...and is damaging the
    lower lug...it can cause further damage and can tie up your gun at a critical moment if left untended.

Okay Commandante'...Stick it!
    Last edited by 1911Tuner; 23rd March 2005 at 08:54.

Posts liked by others
    thanks for the heads up. i will check mine tonight.

be safe, shoot well.

Posts liked by others

Question Is something wrong in Springfield?

My carry gun is a PPK, made by S&W under license to Walther. (Hey, the 1911's nice but it is not concealable.) As long as I don't feed it aluminum-cased ammunition, it's 100% reliable-- but not perfect: there were a number of defects with it, most of them trifling. For instance, by the time I'd put 100 rounds through it, the white dot had fallen out of the front sight.

But more seriously, whoever machined the disconnector cutout left a wafer-thin "skin" of steel behind. I scraped it out and cleaned up his sloppy work with a pocket knife, but I do wonder what might have happened if I hadn't spotted that. Maybe little bits of metal would have fallen into the works and who knows what malfunction might follow?

That was a couple of years ago. Sounds like S&W's machine shop could use a little TLC.
    The older I get...
    ...the better I was

Posts liked by others
    Could you publish the serial number range of the guns that have so far been affected?
    Thanks...

Posts liked by others
    this just on fullsize or the 1911sc's too

Posts liked by others

Numbers

texagun and tc300...So far there have been 2 in the 47XX range...both fullsize guns...One 35XX and one 03XX...I THINK those are also 5-inch guns...
    so it looks like it's either random or pretty widespread. Easy to check for though. One side of the frame doesn't look like the other. There's a square, sharp protrusion in the corner of the stop surface...where the lower lug sits
    in the frame.

Posts liked by others

Tuner

Thanks for the "heads up", for S&G's checked both of mine JRD 18xx and JRD 29xx, both of which have logged over 20K each and been through recall. No evidence of any problem, but mine are cleaned and inspected closely after each session. but never know what may be slipping past. Wear indicators have been exceptionally minus/minimal to this point in time. Once again thanks, will check son's piece (JRD 43xx).

Posts liked by others
    just checked mine a full size basic stainless, JREXXXX and it was fine all the way around. thanks for the heads up though.

be safe, shoot well.

Posts liked by others
    mine in the jre range, and i think i have it.

if u could pls post a pic of what ur talking about, so i can confirm this and fix it.

Posts liked by others

Picture

Quote Originally Posted by LiTDiE
    mine in the jre range, and i think i have it.

if u could pls post a pic of what ur talking about, so i can confirm this and fix it.
    Go here:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=129036

Scroll down until you find a post by yesterdaysyouth and click on the photo to enlarge it.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast