Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Latest Period Pics: Thread 4

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

The Latest Period Pics: Thread 4

Gentlemen:

It seems that the period photos are of considerable interest. The last three threads on this subject generated thousands of views. Since Thread 3 was getting pretty big, and may be a problem for guys with slow connections, I thought we should start a new Thread on period pics of the M1911 and M1911A1 pistols in use by America's military and naval forces.

Today's pics take us to the Pacific and the Hawaiian Islands in particular. It seems that during WW2 there were a number of militia units formed in the Territory for civil defense purposes. Shown here are some members of such organizations.

First, we have Staff Sgt. Sam Camp shooting a M1911A1 in a 1945 pistol match at the post range at Schofield Barracks. The caption to the photo says "Staff Sergeant Sam Camp, one of the Hawaiian Air Depot Volunteer Corps Pistol Team squeezed on off during one of the Inter-regimental shooting matches being conducted by the Territory's organized Volunteer Defense Forces. Central Pacific Base Command is sponsoring this series of pistol, rifle, and shotgun matches, in which the regiments are competing for honors."

Finally, we have a nice group pic of the Pistol Team Members from an outfit known as the "Business Men's Training Corps". This photo was taken 5-5-45. It is interesting that conditions had changed so much from the early war years that marksmanship competitions could once again be undertaken, even though the Pacific War would not conclude for another few months.

I hope you guys enjoy these, and once again encourage others to post their period pics that would be of interest. Post 'em if you got 'em!

Regards to all,
    Charlie Flick
    Last edited by Ordnanceguy; 15th July 2007 at 15:25.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordnanceguy
    First, we have Staff Sgt. Sam Camp shooting a M1911A1 in a 1945 pistol match at the post range at Schofield Barracks.

Charlie Flick
    Charlie,

Interesting pictures but to me it looks like a straight M1911, or am I missing out on something here?

Balder
    Last edited by Balder; 15th July 2007 at 17:31.

Posts liked by others
    Balder:

I think you are right. On closer examination it does indeed appear to be a M1911. Good eye!

Charlie

Posts liked by others
    Great pictures!
    The Few,The Proud,The Marines. Ohio CHL holder.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by Balder
    Charlie,

Interesting pictures but to me it looks like a straight M1911, or am I missing out on something here?

Balder
    That was my first thought, either. Could it be a commercial because of the high glossy finish of the gun?

@ Ordnanceguy: How did you get the high quality of the picture? Is it a new print of the old film roll/negative? (Hope that "negative" is the right expression for the basic prints are made of)
    Last edited by ElmerKeith; 17th July 2007 at 00:46.

Posts liked by others
    ......., I thought we should start a new Thread on period pics of the M1911 and M1911A1 pistols in use by America's military and naval forces.

I hope you guys enjoy these, and once again encourage others to post their period pics that would be of interest. Post 'em if you got 'em!
    Charlie et al,

Just to remind you that the .45 Colt also was used by other countries, here's a shot from Norway during the hectic May days in 1945. The SOE /Linge Company lieutenant on the right, inspecting the resistance fighters, is my late father. In the British web holster that barely shows in the picture, he's carrying a 1941 civilian Government Model (C19XXXX) that was purchased by the British Purchasing Commission (BPC) prior to Lend-Lease. When leaving the UK in 1943 in charge of a parachute operation into Norway, he was also carrying a Walther PPK which is now in my possession. My brother is the caretaker of the Colt.

Regards,

Balder

Last edited by Balder; 17th July 2007 at 06:16.

Posts liked by others
    Quote Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
    ..... Could it be a commercial because of the high glossy finish of the gun?......
    I believe that the glossy appearance of the pistol stems from the reflection of the photographer's flash.

Balder

Posts liked by others
    Gentlemen:

Today's pic takes us back to the Territory of Hawaii, during WW2. This is a Signal Corps photo taken 7-15-43. The official caption reads:

"Army packhorses go where modern vehicles can't. Here, Private First Class John D. Burns, Watha, North Carolina, and Private Alan A. Hadley, Maplewood, New Jersey, strap a machine gun and heavy ammunition boxes on an Army horse in preparation for mountain duty somewhere on Oahu's high rugged ranges."

Note the pistol lanyard use.

I wonder what those guys were doing up in the mountains? I think the Signal Corps had one or more radar installations located there, so maybe these guys were part of that effort. One of those early radar units saw the incoming Jap attack on 12/7/41.

Regards.
    Charlie

Posts liked by others
    Greetings:

The summer heat has driven me indoors, so that allows me the opportunity to share today's pic with you all. This selection is another PTO photo and was taken on Okinawa. It displays USMC General Lemuel Shepherd, the CO of the Sixth Marine Division on the left with Army General Simon Bolivar Buckner, who was the commander of the Tenth Army. Both are wearing .45 pistols, with Shepherd's pistol carefully wrapped in one of the plastic "invasion" pouches inside of his M3 holster.

Gen. Buckner was later killed by Japanese artillery on June 18, 1945. He was the highest ranking US officer killed in WW2.

Regards,
    Charlie

Last edited by Ordnanceguy; 28th July 2007 at 15:40.

Posts liked by others
    Greetings:

The summer heat has driven me indoors, so that allows me the opportunity to share today's pic with you all. This selection is another PTO photo and was taken on Okinawa. It displays USMC General Lemuel Shepherd, the CO of the Sixth Marine Division on the left with Army General Simon Bolivar Buckner, who was the commander of the Tenth Army. Both are wearing .45 pistols, with Shepherd's pistol carefully wrapped in one of the plastic "invasion" pouches inside of his M3 holster.

Gen. Buckner was later killed by Japanese artillery on June 18, 1945. He was the highest ranking US officer killed in WW2.

Regards,
    Charlie

And the camera in Gen. Buckner's hand seems to be a Leica camera.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast