Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

John needs your help
Please read this message.

Sponsors Panel
If you intend to buy something from the companies advertising above, or near the bottom of our pages, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, using those banners, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: Trigger overtravel screw & Colt Series 80

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?
    Posts liked by others

Trigger overtravel screw & Colt Series 80

How do you adjust the trigger overtravel screw on a Colt Series 80 and not have it interfere with the series 80 parts? I know if the screw is not adjusted correctly, the firing pin plunger will not be moved up enough to allow the firing pin to clear the plunger and this will cause nicks on the plunger (the nicks will "hang up" the plunger, causing trigger lockup eventually ).

Posts liked by others
    After consideration, would this work?
    1. Field strip the gun
    2. Lower the hammer
    3. Unscrew the overtravel screw
    4. Pull the trigger and hold it back
    5. Measure the height of the firing pin lock plunger lever from frame
    6. Screw the overtravel screw in enough to keep the FP lock plunger lever from reducing height measured in step 5.
    7. Reassemble the gun

Opinions?

Posts liked by others
    That'll work. I'd also color the plunger with black marker, assemble and dry fire a few dozen times to confirm that your over travel screw setting is correct and that the firing pin is not marking the plunger.
    I'd also note that the trigger's travel can be stopped by the grip safety's arm. If you've done a beavetail job, you'll want to be sure it doesn't act as a stop. Good Luck!

Posts liked by others
    Just stick a pencil in the barrel, eraser first and start adjusting. Then when your done with the last trial, hold the trigger in and thumb the hammer to see if the sear is hitting the hooks or 1/2 cock notch, if it is you've got more adjusting to do. If not, hopefully you used some blue lock-tite before you started to insure the screw won't move.

Posts liked by others
    Thanks guys!

Posts liked by others

Overtravel Screw

Just for what it's worth...I don't allow an overtravel screw in a carry gun.
    No sense in handin' Murphy an engraved invitation. There's an overtravel stop
    already in the design. It's underneath the lug on the grip safety that blocks
    the trigger.

That being said. The timing of the safety levers is thus:

The lever should stand .060-.075 above the frame rail when the pretravel is taken out of the trigger, just as the trigger puts pressure on the sear, but before the sear moves...and...it should stand .090 to .110 above the frame when the trigger is fully rearward. Ideal is somewhere close to the middle of the two spreads.

Luck!

Tuner

Posts liked by others
    Thanks Tuner. Could we get this posted as a sticky? (Kuhnhausen's does not have this that I've seen)

Posts liked by others

Sticky?

I dunno stumbler...I reckon you'd hafta ask the boss about that.

Posts liked by others
    John, What do you say?