Welcome to M1911.ORG
The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site

Sponsors Panel
Ruger
If you intend to buy something from Brownells or Cabela's, please use their banners in our sites. Whatever you buy from them, gives us a small commission, which helps us keep these sites alive. You still pay the normal price, our commission comes from their profit, so you have nothing to lose, while we have something to gain. Your help is appreciated.
If you want to become a sponsor and see your banner in the above panel, click here to contact us.

Thread: front sight tool

THREAD CLOSED
This is an old thread. You can't post a reply in it. It is left here for historical reasons.Why don't you create a new thread instead?

front sight tool

where can I purchase the tool to stake on the front sight? what is it called? any help or links would be appreciated.

Brownell's in Nebraska. brownells.com I think. Do yourself a favor though and get a catalog from them on your first "visit"--the book's easier to navigate than the site!

another option is from kings gun works.

-kotonk

thank you very much.

Front Sight

A word on staking front sights...

The tenon area inside the slide needs to have a "well" for the tenon to flow into to positively retain the sight. I use a small carbide burr or a round grindstone bit in a Dremel to accomplish this. It doesn't have to be deep...it just has to be there. The area will need to be dressed afterward to allow the
    bushing to fit the slide. I do this operation with the large sanding drum
    attachment in the Dremel, and do the final fit with a little lapping compound
    and a bushing wrench. Careful with that sanding drum...A light touch and patience.

Luck!

Tuner

The best tool I have found for the job is made by MMC. It is a jig that locks the front sight in place while the tenon is swaged by a shear that fits into a hole in the lower part of the jig. The tool is easy to use because it holds the front sight firmly in place during the staking (swaging) procedure. I have installed over half a dozen sights with mine without any problems. The bad news is that it isn't cheap at about $100.00. I have saved a lot of money with my tool because I now use it to install extra tall front sights which I use in conjunction with Novak fixed rear sights. The Novaks can be drift adjusted for windage and I the file the extra tall front sight down to get the proper elevation. This sounds like more work than it really is, and you only have to do it once. What I mean by saving money is that this Novak set up is just as good as a set of BoMars, except for the adjustment. I found that once I had adjusted the BoMars on a 1911, I never touched them again, unless some thing drastic happened to the pistol. Considering that it costs well over $200.00 to have a set of BoMars installed and less than $40.00 to install your own set of Novak fixed sights, the MMC tool can be a downright bargain. I am now shooting two Para P-16s, one with Bomars, and one with the Novaks and can't honestly say that one sight is superior to the other, but I do know which one cost more.
    PS the tool and front sight blanks can be bought from Brownells'